Terror verdict is tossed aside

Bin Laden worker wins on technicality

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

WASHINGTON — Osama bin Laden’s for­mer pub­lic re­la­tions man­ager shouldn’t have been tried by a mil­i­tary com­mis­sion for con­duct that wasn’t con­sid­ered a war crime be­fore 2006, the full U.S. Court of Ap­peals for the Dis­trict of Co­lum­bia said, up­hold­ing an ear­lier rul­ing of a three-judge panel.

The court threw out Ali Hamza Ah­mad Suli­man al Bahlul’s 2008 con­vic­tions on charges of so­lic­i­ta­tion for ter­ror­ism and pro­vid­ing ma­terial sup­port to ter­ror­ists be­fore the at­tacks of Sept. 11, 2001, rul­ing that the Mil­i­tary Com­mis­sions Act of 2006 didn’t au­tho­rize ret­ro­ac­tive pros­e­cu­tion of be­hav­ior that pre­vi­ously wasn’t clas­si­fied as a war crime. Bahlul’s con­vic­tion for con­spir­acy was up­held up­held 6-1.

The rul­ing is the lat­est set­back for U.S. of­fi­cials seek­ing to try ter­ror sus­pects at the U.S. Naval base at Guan­tan­amo Bay, Cuba. In June, a mil­i­tary judge held a hear­ing on al­le­ga­tions by de­fense at­tor­neys for five Guan­tan­amo pris­on­ers ac­cused in the Sept. 11 at­tacks that the Fed­eral Bureau of In­ves­ti­ga­tion sought in­for­ma­tion on con­fi­den­tial com­mu­ni­ca­tions with their cli­ents. Be­fore that, hear­ings of the 9/​11 de­fen­dants have been plagued by in­nu­mer­a­ble de­lays, and no trial is in sight.

Last year, a panel of the ap­peals court dis­missed the 2008 mil­i­tary com­mis­sion con­vic­tion of bin Laden’s driver, Salim Ham­dan, for sup­port­ing ter­ror­ism. Bahlul’s con­vic­tions were also thrown out af­ter the Justice Depart­ment con­ceded that the charges couldn’t stand in the wake of the Ham­dan de­ci­sion. In April 2013, the gov­ern­ment asked for a full-court re­view of the dis­miss­als and ar­gued its case in Sep­tem­ber.

Bahlul and Mr. Ham­dan were cap­tured a month apart in 2001 and sent to Guan­tan­amo. Bahlul served as bin Laden’s per­sonal sec­re­tary for pub­lic re­la­tions, which in­cluded ad­min­is­ter­ing oaths of al­le­giance and pro­duc­ing pro­pa­ganda seek­ing to re­cruit al-Qaida mem­bers.

The court on Mon­day reached the same con­clu­sion as the pre­vi­ous ap­peals panel did re­gard­ing Mr. Ham­dan’s sup­port charge. While the court up­held Bahlul’s con­vic­tion for con­spir­acy, say­ing the stat­ute gov­ern­ing that crime ex­isted in fed­eral law be­fore 2006, the judges dif­fered on how to dis­pense with the case. The ma­jor­ity agreed to send the case back to the orig­i­nal panel for a rul­ing on re­sid­ual is­sues.

“Bahlul’s ap­peal has been be­fore this court nearly three years, and the court’s de­ci­sion en­sures it will re­main here at least an­other term,” Cir­cuit Court Judge Jan­ice Rogers Brown said in an opin­ion that dis­sented in part. She wrote that the case should be re­manded to the Court of Mil­i­tary Com­mis­sions Review to ad­dress the con­se­quences of the ap­peals de­ci­sion on Bahlul’s life sen­tence.

The rul­ing leaves un­cer­tain the fu­ture of mil­i­tary com­mis­sions, the Center for Con­sti­tu­tional Rights, a le­gal non­profit, said Mon­day in a state­ment.



Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here