WASHINGTON — A new video attributed to the Islamic State terrorist organization purports to show the beheading of U.S. journalist Steven Sotloff, marking the second execution-style killing of an American in recent weeks by a group that controls parts of Iraq and Syria and has threatened other captives.
The video, which surfaced online Tuesday, shows a bound and kneeling Mr. Sotloff being held at knifepoint by a black-clad militant against a desert backdrop similar to the one shown in an earlier video depicting the beheading of American journalist James Foley.
The gruesome killings and the group’s threat to decapitate other captives puts new pressure on the Obama administration at a time when it is weighing how the United States should respond to an al-Qaida offshoot that is seen as ruthless, but that has not launched plots beyond the region.
The United States has carried out more than 100 airstrikes against Islamic State fighters in Iraq over the past month since the group expanded its control of territory there. But the administration has avoided direct U.S. military involvement in Syria, aside from a failed attempt to rescue Mr. Foley and other captives earlier this year.
The Pentagon and U.S. intelligence agencies have developed lists of possible Islamic State targets in Syria. But Mr. Obama, who has expressed concerns about being drawn into Syria’s civil war, indicated last week that he had not yet approved new strikes. “We don’t have a strategy yet,” Mr. Obama said in a remark that was later derided by Republican lawmakers and critics.
U.S. officials believe that as many as a dozen Americans may be fighting alongside the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria, and that the group holds at least two other American hostages, both aid workers.
Mr. Sotloff, a 31-year-old freelance journalist, had written for Time magazine, Foreign Policy and other publications. He was believed to have been taken captive shortly after entering Syria in 2013, and he was shown in the video of Mr. Foley that the Islamic State released last month. Mr. Sotloff’s mother, Shirley, recently released a video pleading with the group for her son’s release.
On Tuesday, U.S. officials said they had not yet verified the authenticity of the video. Mr. Sotloff’s family, through a spokesman, issued a statement suggesting that they believed the footage to be authentic. “The family knows of this horrific tragedy and is grieving privately,” said spokesman Barak Barfi.
In the video, an unidentified militant denounces the Obama administration, saying, “I’m back, Obama, and I’m back because of your arrogant foreign policy towards the Islamic State.” He cites recent U.S. airstrikes against the group in Iraq and warns that “just as your missiles continue to strike our people, our knife will continue to strike the necks of your people.”
The militant speaks with a British accent, raising the possibility that he is the same person who killed Mr. Foley, 40. Both hostages wore orange jumpsuits, much like prisoners held by the United States at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba.
Mr. Foley and Mr. Sotloff may not have been killed at the same time or place. The militant in the Sotloff video appears to refer to U.S. airstrikes at Amerli in Iraq, which began over the weekend. Mr. Sotloff also appears to have more hair on his head and face than in the first video.
The latest video, obtained by the Site Intelligence Group, an organization that tracks the online postings of Islamist militant groups, also shows another hostage identified as David Cawthorne Haines. Mr. Haines is a British aid worker who was abducted in March 2013 near the Atmeh refugee camp adjoining the Turkish border and the Syrian province of Idlib, according to aid workers involved in efforts to secure his release.
In an apparent reference to Britain, Mr. Sotloff’s killer warns “governments that enter this evil alliance of America . . . to back off and leave our people alone.” Mr. Haines is shown in the same kneeling position and wearing the same type of orange jumpsuit as Mr. Sotloff and Mr. Foley before him.
Mr. Sotloff had traveled into and out of Syria several times before he was abducted after entering the country from Turkey on Aug. 4, 2013, according to a person familiar with details of his case. A Florida native, he had covered turmoil in countries including Egypt and Libya, where his reporting served as the basis of a Time magazine reconstruction of the Sept. 11, 2012, attack on U.S. compounds in Benghazi.
In the video that surfaced Tuesday, Mr. Sotloff stares stone-faced into the camera while delivering a statement apparently scripted by his captors. “I am Steven Joel Sotloff,” he says, adding that he is “paying the price” for the Obama administration’s policies in the Middle East. The video lasts less than three minutes but appears to have been carefully produced by the terrorist group, which has used online propaganda to position itself as a successor to al-Qaida.
First Published September 2, 2014 1:25 PM