Chartiers-Houston's Garrett Vulcano and Kiski Area's Matt McCutcheon moved three steps closer to breaking their school record for career victories in county tournaments held over the weekend.
Vulcano (20-3) recorded three victories at the Tri-County Wrestling Championships en route to the 195-pound title. That gives Vulcano 129 career victories, three short of tying the school record of 132 set by Michael Innes in 2011.
"When Michael set the record, we knew it wouldn't last very long," Chartiers-Houston coach Bill Sutton said. "We knew Garrett and Tanner [Sutton] would pass him if they stayed healthy."
Bill Sutton also was referring to his son, who has 118 wins. Tanner Sutton (19-5) needs 15 wins to pass Innes, but will have to settle for second best since he's so far behind Vulcano.
McCutcheon (21-0) registered three pins to claim his fourth Westmoreland County Coaches Association Tournament title. He needs eight wins to pass Tyler Oravec, a 2006 Kiski Area graduate who owns the school record with 149 wins.
"Breaking the school record for career victories is one of the goals I set for this season," McCutcheon said.
Vulcano and McCutcheon are among 10 seniors closing in on a school record for career victories:
• Greensburg Salem's Zach Voytek (24-1) has 144 wins. He needs 11 wins to pass Donnie Jones, a 2005 graduate who owns the school record with 154 wins.
• South Side Beaver's Nathan Reckner (21-1) has 132 wins. He needs 11 wins to pass David Demor, who set the school record in 2011 with 142 wins.
• North Hills' Tyler Walker (20-0) has 117 wins. He needs 15 to pass 2008 graduate Alexander Martinez, the Indians' record-holder with 131 wins.
• Hampton's Jake Hart (19-0) has 118 wins. He needs 15 to pass Brian Pogel, a 2005 grad who owns the Talbots record with 132 wins.
• Elizabeth Forward's Lukas Etzel (9-5) has 104 wins. The Warriors record is shared by 1981 graduate Brad Duvall and 1993 grad John Withrow, who finished with 118 wins. Etzel needs 15 wins to pass both.
• Belle Vernon's Nathan Russo (18-2) has 114 wins. Donnie Tasser, a 2008 graduate, owns the Leopards record with 133 wins. Russo needs 20 wins to pass him.
• Norwin's Heath Coles (15-3) has 107 wins. He needs 21 to pass Mike Croyle and Todd Schuchert, 2000 graduates who share the Knights record with 127 wins. Schuchert is Norwin's head coach.
• Jefferson-Morgan's Dustin Conti (16-0) has 116 wins. Justin Tracanna, a 1996 graduate, owns the Rockets record with 138 wins. Conti needs 23 to pass Tracanna.
One junior is closing in on a school record, as Kittanning's Jason Nolf (20-0) has 107 wins in three years. Chamie Hooks, a 1997 graduate, posted 137 wins. Nolf needs 31 wins to pass Hooks, which means he will have to wait until next season.
Coming down the stretch
Wednesday marks the final day of section play for WPIAL wrestling teams. Thirty-nine matches are scheduled and some have playoff implications.
Two matches feature opponents who are unbeaten and tied for their sub-section lead, and four other matches will decide the champion.
• Greensburg Salem, ranked No. 7 in Class AAA, hosts No. 10 Latrobe in Section 1B. Both teams are 4-0.
• South Fayette, No. 2 in Class AA, is on the road against No. 5 Chartiers-Houston in Section 1A. Both teams are unbeaten at 4-0.
• Canon-McMillan, No. 1 in Class AAA, travels to Trinity in Section 4A. The Big Macs are 4-0 and the Hillers are 3-1. If Trinity pulls the upset, the Hillers and Big Macs could end in a three-way tie for first place with Waynesburg (3-1).
• Burrell, No. 1 in Class AA, is on the road against No. 7 Valley in Section 3B. The Buccaneers are 3-0 and the Vikings are 2-1. If Valley pulls the upset, the Buccaneers and Vikings would end in a three-way tie for first place with Kittanning (3-1).
• South Allegheny travels to Keystone Oaks with the Class AA Section 3A title on the line. The Gladiators are 3-0 and the Golden Eagles are 2-1.
• Hopewell can win the Class AAA Section 4B title with a victory at Montour. The Vikings are 4-0 and the Spartans are 3-1. A three-way tie for first place with West Allegheny (3-1) is possible if Montour wins.mobilehome - hsother