Trooper shot in Latrobe standoff home from hospital, 'going to be fine'

The Pennsylvania State Police trooper who was shot during the lengthy standoff in Latrobe Friday was released from the hospital and is now home after receiving treatment to an eye injury, officials said Monday.

Trooper Brian King was "likey shot twice," one bullet striking the side of his helmet, and the other bullet hitting the ballistic shield on his gas mask, state police spokesman Trooper John Matchik said Monday during a news conference at the Greensburg barracks.

"He is going to be fine," Trooper Matchik said.

Police offer details on Latrobe standoff

State police spokesman Trooper John Matchik offered details on last week's standoff in Latrobe that left one officer wounded and the suspect dead. (Video by Bob Donaldson; 7/22/2013)

Trooper King is doing well and has gone home, another spokeswoman, Trooper Robin Mungo, said Monday as she asked for privacy for the trooper and his family.


He was discharged from UPMC Presbyterian in Pittsburgh Monday.

Trooper Matchik said 15 hours had passed before "tactical entry" from the State Emergency Response Team that resulted in two exchanges of gunfire between police and Scott Murphy.

Murphy initiated the first round of shots that struck Trooper King. Trooper Matchik said "several entry members returned gunfire at Murphy as they retreated from inside of the resident."

"In conjunction with Trooper King's training and his ballistic shield, he was very, very fortunate," Trooper Matchik said.

After the hours-long standoff, Murphy, 46, was found dead after being shot several times, authorities said.

Autopsies have yet to confirm if Murphy's death was self-inflicted or if he was killed by a trooper.

Murphy reportedly made "suicidal statements" to negotiators and fired shots from behind a closed door, officials said. Officers found a .380 caliber handgun and an AR-15 rifle upstairs in the second-floor bedroom where police said Murphy barricaded himself after refusing to surrender when officers came to question him about a pharmacy robbery that happened earlier that day in Latrobe.

"We gave him every chance to come out of the residence peacefully," Trooper Matchik said.

Five relatives who were inside the home left when tactical units arrived.

People standing outside the Lloyd Avenue home where the standoff occurred declined to comment Monday.

Trooper King is a former Penn State football player who was recruited from West Chester, Ohio, and was on the roster from 1992 to 1995, according to a spokeswoman from the university.

mobilehome - breaking - region - neigh_westmoreland

Kelton Brooks: First Published July 22, 2013 3:45 PM


Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?