Based on the gangbuster artistic success that has been Manfred Honeck's inaugural season with the Pittsburgh Symphony, hearing his Mahler Symphony No. 2, "Resurrection," should be high on the music lover's calendar. But Heinz Hall also will be home to an innovative concert of music from video games past and present.
On the South Side, the Pittsburgh New Music Ensemble struts its stuff and the Pittsburgh Jewish Music Festival brings back clarinetist David Krakauer. But before all that summer fare, don't miss Rachmaninoff's spectacular "All-Night Vigil" performed by the Mendelssohn Choir or Mendelssohn's oratorio "St. Paul" performed by the Shadyside Chancel Choir and Choral Society.
- ANDRE RIEU: Mellon Arena, Downtown (May 17). 412-323-1919.
- BACH, BEETHOVEN & BRUNCH: Mellon Park, Point Breeze (Sundays, 10:30 a.m. June 21-Aug. 16). 412-255-8975.
• See all lists of events, activities and places to go.
- FIRST FRIDAYS AT THE FRICK: Frick Art & Historical Center, Point Breeze. Emam and Friends (June 5); Babatunde Lea (July 3); Wailing Souls (Aug. 7) and Mediaeval Baebes (Sept. 4). 412-371-0600.
- McKEESPORT SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA: McKeesport Senior High School, "Americana" (May 16); Centennial Elementary School, McKeesport (May 28); Renzie Park, McKeesport (June 14). 412-664-2854.
- MENDELSSOHN CHOIR: St. Paul Cathedral, Oakland (May 17). Rachmaninoff's "All-Night Vigil." 412-926-2488.
- MUSIC IN A GREAT SPACE: Shadyside Presbyterian Church. Mendelssohn's "St. Paul." Shadyside Chancel Choir & Choral Society (May 17). 412-682-4300.
- NICOLE COCHRAN: Heinz Memorial Chapel, Oakland. Organ recital (June 14).
- OAKLAND GIRLS CHOIR OF PITTSBURGH: Church of the Ascension, Oakland. (May 16). 412-621-5378, ext. 224.
- OUR MAJESTIC PIPES: First Presbyterian Church, Downtown. Organ recital series (12:10 p.m. Thursdays through May 28). 412-471-3436.
- PITTSBURGH CHAMBER MUSIC SOCIETY: New Hazlett Theater, North Side. The Biava Quartet (May 30). 412-394-3353.
- PITTSBURGH CIVIC ORCHESTRA: Upper St. Clair High School Theatre (May 16). Beethoven's Symphony No. 9, "Choral" with the Pittsburgh Concert Chorale. 412-279-4030.
- PITTSBURGH CONCERT SOCIETY: Kresge Recital Hall, CMU, Oakland. "Alumni Concert" (June 7). 412-279-2970.
- PITTSBURGH FESTIVAL ORCHESTRA: Smithfield United Church of Christ, Downtown. "Bach's Lunch Concerts" (May 19). 412-736-3678.
- PITTSBURGH JEWISH MUSIC FESTIVAL: JCC of Squirrel Hill, "David Krakauer Returns" (June 2); Temple Emanuel, South Hills (June 7) and Rodef Shalom Congregation, Shadyside (June 8), "Hebrew Melodies from the New World"; JCC of Squirrel Hill, The Andy Statman Trio (June 15). 412-394-3353.
- PITTSBURGH NEW MUSIC ENSEMBLE: City Theatre, South Side. (July 10-11, 17-18, 24-25, 31-Aug. 1). 412-431-CITY.
- PITTSBURGH PHILHARMONIC: North Hills Junior High School, Ross (May 16). "Titan." 412-394-3353.
- PITTSBURGH SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA: Heinz Hall, Downtown, Beethoven Violin Concerto, et al., Manfred Honeck, conductor, Frank Peter Zimmermann, violin. (June 4-6); Mahler's Symphony No. 2, "Resurrection," Honeck, conductor, Simona Saturova, soprano, Elizabeth DeShong, mezzo-soprano and the Mendelssohn Choir (June 12 and 14). Lincoln Park Performing Arts Center, Midland, Manfred Honeck, conductor (June 9). St. Benedict the Moor Church, Hill District, "Hill District Community Engagement Concert" (June 17). 412-392-4900.
- PSO COMMUNITY PARTNERS CONCERT: Heinz Hall, Downtown. Lawrence Loh, conductor, the PSO performs with Chaka Khan (June 25). 412-392-4900.
- PSO POPS: Heinz Hall, Downtown. "Marvin Goes Motown," Ellis Hall, pianist/vocalist, Marvin Hamlisch, conductor (June 18-21). 412-392-4900.
- PSO EVENTS: Heinz Hall, Downtown. Diana Krall (July 8); "The Machine -- Pink Floyd Tribute" (July 10); "Video Games Live" (July 11-12); "Highland Heartbeat" (Sept. 12). 412-392-4900.
- SUZANNE LEVINSON: Hillman Center for Performing Arts, Fox Chapel. Flute recital (May 16). 412-968-3000.
- SYMPHONY EAST: Newlonsburg Presbyterian Church, Murrysville (May 18). 724-327-4295.
- TIFFANY CONCERT SERIES: Calvary United Methodist Church, North Side. "South Hills Chorale in Concert" (May 17). 412-323-1070.
- UNDERCROFT OPERA: Synod Hall, Oakland. "The Elixir of Love" (Aug. 6-9). 412-422-7919.
- WASHINGTON COUNTY ARTS CHOIR: Westminster Presbyterian Church, Upper St. Clair, "Brahms Requiem" (May 17); Olin Fine Arts Center, W&J College, Washington (May 30). 724-250-9222.
Andrew Druckenbrod can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org First Published May 15, 2009 4:00 AM