Arrest made in Steeler's stabbing

Tomlin says Adams incident part of a larger problem in South Side

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

Pittsburgh police have arrested a man in the stabbing of Steelers offensive tackle Michael Adams.

Police said Monday afternoon they charged Michael Paranay, 25, of Hazelwood with attempted homicide, aggravated assault, conspiracy and attempted auto theft. He was being held in the Allegheny County Jail, and police said they continue to seek other suspects in the stabbing.

Mr. Paranay was already awaiting trial on misdemeanor charges of resisting arrest and carrying a firearm without a license, and summary offenses of disorderly conduct while fighting and public drunkenness stemming from his arrest in Glassport in January. Additional misdemeanor charges of simple assault, reckless endangerment and terroristic threats, and a felony charge of aggravated assault, were withdrawn.

Word of the arrest came just hours after Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin said his right tackle is expected to make a full recovery and would be released sometime today from UPMC Mercy, where he underwent surgery Saturday.

Mr. Adams, who stands 6 feet, 7 inches and weighs more than 320 pounds, was attacked early Saturday during what police described as a carjacking attempt near East Carson and 17th streets on the South Side.

Mr. Adams was stabbed once in the stomach and once in the left forearm as he tried to stop three men from stealing his truck. He told officers he was outside his truck and didn't have his keys when three men approached.

Mr. Adams told police that one of the men pointed a gun at him and another man stabbed him as he tried to fend off their attempt to steal his pickup.

Police said a witness flagged down an officer at about 3 a.m., and Mr. Adams was found at Cambod-Ican Kitchen on 17th. A valet at Nakama Japanese Steakhouse nearby said Mr. Adams had left his keys with the restaurant's valet service Friday night and did not return to pick them up before the service shut down at midnight.

Mr. Tomlin addressed the incident during a press conference Monday at the Steelers' South Side training facilities. "I visited with him a couple days this weekend. He's got great team support [and] family support. We expect a full recovery. He realizes, of course, how fortunate he is. We're just glad he is going to be OK, and we're just taking it day by day," Mr. Tomlin said.

"They're expecting six weeks or so. He's going to go through a couple of weeks of inactivity until he can proceed with the next step, but obviously the next step for him is getting out of the hospital. We expect that to come within the next 24 hours, and he'll proceed from there."

Mr. Tomlin said the team has rallied behind Mr. Adams, but that the incident is part of a larger problem. "I just think as members of this community we need to recognize some things going on in the South Side that make it a dangerous place -- particularly after hours -- and we all need to take proper precautions," he said. "And hopefully as a community we'll take the steps necessary to make sure that this doesn't happen to anyone -- whether it's a Pittsburgh Steeler or not."

Steelers - neigh_city

Dan Gigler: or 412-263-1884. First Published June 4, 2013 4:00 AM


Latest NFL News
Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?