Steelers beat Ravens, 23-20

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

BALTIMORE -- Quarterback Charlie Batch, playing in his most productive -- and perhaps important -- role with the Steelers, led them to a 23-20 upset of the Baltimore Ravens tonight.

Shaun Suisham kicked a 42-yard field goal with no time left to win it, his third of the game.

It was the Steelers only lead since they went ahead 3-0 on their first drive of the game.

Batch completed 25 of 36 passes for 276 yards to bring the Steelers from behind in the fourth quarter. His 7-yard touchdown pass to Heath Miller tied the game 20-20 with 7:24 to go. He then directed them on the winning drive that began from their 15 with 6:14 to go.

The Steelers raised their record to 7-5, two behind first-place Baltimore (9-3) in the AFC North with four to go.


While the Steelers did not lose anywhere near the eight turnovers that prevented them from winning in Cleveland one week earlier, they had two that were costly.

Antonio Brown threw an interception and Emmanuel Sanders lost a fumble at midfield with no one around him. The Ravens scored on touchdown drives after each.

A third turnover occurred in the fourth quarter when, on first down at the Baltimore 20, Batch tried to get a pass to Heath Miller in the back of the end zone, but Ed Reed swiped it for his 61st interception.

However, James Harrison took care of that when he sacked Joe Flacco, who fumbled. Ziggy Hood recovered at Baltimore's 27 with the Steelers trailing by seven.

This time, Batch threw another pass to Miller -- and this time it counted. From the 7, Miller caught the ball on the right side and as he was being tackled, he stretched out his left arm and hit the pylon for a touchdown.

The game was tied 20-20 with 7:24 left.


Earlier, the Steelers had tied the game 13-13 on a quick, first series of the second half. Charlie Batch completed a 43-yard pass over the middle to Heath Miller to account for more than half of the 78-yard drive.

Jonathan Dwyer closed it out when he took a handoff to the left side, which was clogged up. He bounced it outside and ran to the front corner of the end zone for a 16-yard touchdown.

The Steelers had a chance to take the lead on their next series but after Emmanuel Sanders caught a pass wide in the open over the middle at his 45. He was so far in the open, it looked as though he had a lane to the end zone, but he lost the ball near midfield for some reason and Ed Reed recovered for Baltimore.

As they did on a previous turnover in the first half, the Ravens converted the fumble into a touchdown drive. Ray Rice ended the 63-yard drive with a 34-yard touchdown, bouncing it around left end on a play designed to go off right tackle.

Baltimore had regained the lead 20-13 with 4:50 to go in the third quarter.

It was not a good quarter for Sanders. The Steelers came back with a drive that put them on Baltimore's 43 where, on third down, Sanders dropped a pass over the middle at the 27.

The Ravens led 13-6 at halftime.

The Steelers also lost another starter, cornerback Ike Taylor, with a right ankle injury on the first series of the game.

Rookie Justin Tucker kicked two field goals in the third quarter to end consecutive drives and put the Ravens ahead 6-3. His first tied the game from 45 yards out. His second, from 23 yards, came after a 30-yard pass interference penalty against Steelers cornerback Cortez Allen at the 10.

Allen had been playing well since Taylor left the game with a right ankle injury on the first series, deflecting three passes before he jostled Baltimore receiver Torrey Smith on a deep route.

The teams then traded interceptions over the course of three plays. Joe Flacco escaped a Brett Keisel sack only to throw a poor pass that Ryan Clark intercepted at the Steelers 49. Two plays later, Antonio Brown took a handoff, ran to his left, stopped and threw to his right toward Jonathan Dwyer. Cornerback Corey Graham was not fooled and intercepted it.

The Ravens took over at their 31 and moved 69 yards on four plays and one key penalty to score on a 28-yard pass from Joe Flacco to Anquan Boldin. Baltimore led 13-3. Two plays before that touchdown, Keenan Lewis was called for holding on an incomplete pass on third down. On the next play, Boldin beat Allen along the left sideline for a 30-yard reception.

Baltimore led 13-3.

The Steelers closed the gap on Shaun Suisham's 41 yard field goal with 32 seconds left in the half, but blew a chance for touchdown when Batch overthrew a wide open Mike Wallace in the end zone from the 23 on third down.

The Steelers led 3-0 after one quarter.

Batch drove the Steelers to a field goal and a 3-0 lead on their first offensive series. Batch completed two key third-down passes. The first covered 12 yards to Emmanuel Sanders, the second did not convert but the 8-yard pass to Antonio Brown put them in Suisham's range for a 48-yard kick.

While Willie Colon suited up for the game, Maurkice Pouncey started at left guard with Doug Legrusky taking over at center. Ramon Foster stayed at right guard and rookie Kelvin Beachum made his first NFL start, at right tackle. Rookie David DeCastro also dressed for his first game since the Steelers took him off injured reserve Monday. Steelers - mobilehome - homepage - breaking

First Published December 2, 2012 10:00 PM


Latest NFL News
Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?