NFL will review incident involving Steelers' Reed, police

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

The NFL said today it is investigating an incident last night in which Steelers kicker Jeff Reed was wrestled to the ground by Pittsburgh police officers, placed under arrest and given multiple citations after a drunken confrontation outside a North Shore bar.

Mr. Reed's Atlanta-based agent, Don Henderson, said today, however, that his client was wrongfully detained.

"We're contesting it," Mr. Henderson said. "It involved somebody else on the team, he got out to try to help and basically got attacked by the police. He was with his parents. He got out and tried to help and evidently they didn't want to hear that. We're definitely going to contest it. It was somebody else trying to do something and Jeff ended up getting slammed in the middle."

Steelers spokesman Dave Lockett said today that the team "is still gathering details and will not have a comment until we have more information." The NFL is also investigating the incident, according to a league spokesman.

According to police, the incident occurred around 9 p.m. outside McFadden's bar, several hours after Reed kicked two field goals in the Steelers 27-14 win over Cleveland at Heinz Field.

Police had been dispatched to the 200 block of North Shore Drive for an unrelated incident when the responding officers noticed a man, later identified as Steelers tight end Matthew Spaeth, urinating outside a large, white SUV parked nearby.

The officer went to Mr. Spaeth to issue a citation when, police said, the Steelers kicker got out of the vehicle.

He refused to get back into the vehicle, which was driven by his father. Instead, Mr. Reed put up his fists and got "into a fighters stance," according to a police affidavit.

The confrontation was swift as one officer put Mr. Reed in an arm lock while a second officer forced him to the ground.

Mr. Reed continued to resist as the officers struggled to get his hands behind him to be put in cuffs, the affidavit said.

Police said the kicker smelled strongly of alcohol and he appeared to be intoxicated.

After the suspect calmed down, police issued a citation for simple assault, resisting arrest, disorderly conduct and public drunkenness. He was released at the scene to his father's custody, police said, and will receive a summons in the mail that will order him to court to face the charges.

It is the second time this year that Mr. Reed has had a run-in with police. Earlier this year in Westmoreland County, he pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and criminal mischief after police said he damaged a paper towel dispenser and harassed employees at a Sheetz convenience store in New Alexandria in February.

In that incident, witnesses told police that Mr. Reed, 30, went into the store bathroom and then became infuriated that there were no towels in the dispenser. He began banging on the dispenser and hurling profanities at employees, even after leaving the store.

Mr. Reed received a summary citation and was fined $543.50, which includes $210 in restitution to the store.

The NFL fined Mr. Reed $10,000 for that incident.


Latest NFL News
Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?