Driver, pregnant head coach killed in crash of Seton Hill women's lacrosse team tour bus on Pennsylvania Turnpike

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

A tour bus carrying Seton Hill University women's lacrosse team to a game went off the Pennsylvania Turnpike today and crashed into a tree, killing the driver and the pregnant head coach and seriously injuring two others, authorities said.

Twenty-three passengers, including the bus driver, players and coaches were aboard when the eastbound bus crashed at about 9 a.m. near Mile Marker 227 in Carisle, said state police Trooper Rob Hicks. It's not clear what caused the crash, but state police are investigating.

Cumberland County officials said the driver, Anthony Guaetta of Johnstown, died at the scene,

Head coach Kristina Quigley, 30, of Greensburg, and two other injured passengers were flown by helicopter to Penn State Hershey Medical Center. Ms. Quigley died there. She was six months pregnant and her unborn son did not survive, authorities said. The condition of the other two victims was unknown, hospital spokeswoman Danielle Ran said.

All other passengers were taken to hospitals as a precaution, authorities said.

"The Seton Hill University community is deeply saddened," Seton Hill spokeswoman Kary L. Coleman said in a release.

Ms. Quigley, who is survived by her husband, Glenn Quigley, and young son, Gavin, had just begun her second season with the Seton Hill women's lacrosse program, according to Ms. Coleman. She led the Griffins to 11 victories in her first season.

A Baltimore, Md., native, Ms. Quigley came to Seton Hill from Erskine College in Due West, S.C., where she started the NCAA Division II program.

Prior to that, she worked as the assistant lacrosse coach at Duquesne University, her alma mater. She graduated from Duquesne with a major in secondary education and minors in math and English.

The university will offer a memorial Mass for Ms. Quigley and pray for Mr. Guaetta and all those injured, on Sunday at 7 p.m. in St. Joseph Chapel on the university's campus.

"The university is sensitive to the emotional well-being of our students and the responders who were involved in this tragic accident," Ms. Coleman said. Students may seek advice and counseling about any matter related to the accident by the Office of Student Life (724-838-4242), Campus Ministry and the university's director of campus ministry (724-830-1075), the Counseling Center (724-838-4295) and the Seton Hill Center for Family Therapy (724-552-0339).

Ms. Coleman said the university learned from Cumberland County officials that eight passengers were taken to Carlisle Regional Medical Center, seven to Harrisburg Hospital and four to Holy Spirit Hospital in Camp Hill.

Ms. Coleman said Seton Hill administrators used the E-2 Campus system, campus e-mail and phone calls to communicate the seriousness of the accident to students on campus. The university's associate dean of students was en route to Cumberland County to assist students and their families.

The bus came to a stop upright on the side of the road with part of its left side shorn off, photos from the scene showed, though it's unclear whether that was from the impact or rescue operation.

The bus operator, Mlaker Charter & Tours, of Davidsville, Pa., sent investigators to the scene, company dispatcher Kelly Hay said. The company had no information yet from the investigators and could not comment, she said.

State environmental officials were also sent to the scene because of a diesel fuel spill from the bus.

Seton Hill is a Catholic school of about 2,500 students in Greensburg. The team was to play at 1 p.m. at Millersville University, about 50 miles from the crash site in central Pennsylvania.

Millersville University spokeswoman Janet Kacskos said, "The reaction was just shock and numbness. We're meeting with the team members right now. We've got counselors and ministers."

On the Seton Hill campus this afternoon, Joanna Pichardo, a forward on Seton Hill's girl's hockey team, said she'd received a text that morning about the crash and was "stunned" to hear the news. Ms. Pichardo, 22, is a senior at the school and has many friends on the lacrosse team.

"It's scary. You think you're going to a game and there's this freak accident," she said.

Jen Luczka, 20, is a junior at the school. "We're all friends with everyone," she said. "It's hard to believe this happened, it's such a tragedy. We're so close here. But we will come together tomorrow night," she added.

At McKenna Hall, the school's athletic center, officials declined to comment and instructed students not to talk.

Last month in Southern California, a tour bus collided with a car and pickup truck, killing eight and injuring dozens. The tour company was ordered to stop operating because its buses weren't properly maintained or inspected and its drivers weren't properly vetted for qualifications.

A day before that crash, a bus carrying 42 high school students from the Philadelphia area and their chaperones slammed into an overpass in Boston, injuring 35. Authorities said the driver had directed the bus onto a road with a height limit.

mobilehome - homepage - breaking - state - Transportation

Staff writers Bill Schackner and Mackenzie Carpenter and the Associated Press contributed. Michael A. Fuoco: or 412-263-1968. First Published March 16, 2013 4:30 AM


You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here