Day 2 of Sandusky trial concludes

In a strong voice, former Penn State graduate assistant Mike McQueary took the stand this afternoon and told the jury that he "no doubt about it" saw Jerry Sandusky having what he believed to be anal sex with a young boy in the locker room showers.

The much-anticipated testimony from Mr. McQueary came during the second day of the the trial of Mr. Sandusky -- the former Penn State assistant coach accused of molesting 10 boys over 15 years. Mr. McQueary was very self-confident on the stand, clear and well-spoken, polite.

Mr. McQueary described entering the building one Friday night in February 2001 and hearing the showers running and smacking sounds -- "skin on skin smacking sounds. I immediately became alerted and embarrassed that I was walking in on something."

Recap of Day 2 testimony in Sandusky trial

The PG's Paula Ward reports that former Penn State graduate assistant Mike McQueary was among those supplying graphic testimony today in the trial of Jerry Sandusky. (Video by Bob Donaldson; 6/12/2012)

When Mr. McQueary said he opened his locker, in the reflection of the locker room mirror he saw the defendant standing behind a young boy "who is propped up against the shower. The boys hands are against the wall."

Mr. McQueary said he then turned to look with his own eyes and saw the same thing.

"I didn't want to trust the mirror."

He described himself as being "extremely alarmed, extremely. Flustered and extremely shocked."


From there, Mr. McQueary said he slammed his locker as loud as he could and when he looked again the two people were separated by three to five feet.

"Both saw me. I saw the fronts of their bodies. We looked into each others' eyes. I would say the little boy came up to chest height. He was prepubescent, 10 to 12 years old."

Mr. McQueary told the jury he left the locker room and went to his office, where he called his father. He said he went to see Coach Joe Paterno the next morning, and later spoke with athletic director Tim Curley and Penn State Vice President Gary Shultz.

He said when he was talking to Mr. Paterno, "I told him what I had seen again on the surface. I made sure he knew it was sexual and it was wrong. I did not go into gross detail."

Mr. McQueary testified that he believed that in speaking with Mr. Shultz that he felt like he had gone to the police.

"You don't expect to see anything like that, ever," said Mr. McQueary. He said he was thinking to himself, "break it up please. I wasn't thinking 100 percent right. I'm used to pressure experience, and that was more than I could handle."

He testified for under an hour before defense attorney Karl Rominger began cross examination, which lasted for about 85 minutes.

The defense tried to dwell extensively on why McQueary never went to police; Mr. McQueary, remaining calm, replied that he had by going to Gary Schultz.

Mr. Rominger also brought up the emails Mr. McQueary sent after his identity and role in the Sandusky case came out in which he said that he did act to stop the abuse.

"It's been well publicized that I didn't [physically] stop it. Did I pull the boy out of there? Did I physically go assault somebody, did I remove him?" he said. But he insisted that by slamming the locker and making the noise, he did break it up. He later accused the defense of "playing semantics."

He said that the night that it happened, he thought about going to law enforcement, but never did report the incident to police.

The last witness for the day was Joseph Miller, the wrestling coach at Central Mountain School District. He told the jury that one evening in either 2006 or 2007 he returned to the school to pick something up and saw the light on in the weight room. He said he thought that a kid had left it on and went in to turn it off. He then and saw alleged victim 1 and Mr. Sandusky lying face to face on their sides under a rock-climbing wall.

He testified that Mr. Sandusky quickly propped himself up on his elbow, and said, "Hey Coach, just showing him some wrestling moves."

Mr. Miller said that as he drove away that night, he briefly wondered why they'd be working on wrestling in the weight room, not the wrestling room, but then dismissed it.

"I thought to myself, 'It's Jerry Sandusky. He's a saint. What he's doing with these kids is fantastic.' I quickly dismissed it from my mind. Jerry would never do anything inappropriate. I had the utmost respect for Jerry."

Mr. McQueary's testimony followed that of Victim 1 this morning.

That young man cried during and grew frustrated and upset during cross-examination.

He testified that he was abused by Jerry Sandusky more than 25 times from 2005 to 2008 during overnight stays at the defendant's State College home and that he had to leave school after being bullied.


In stark contrast to the man identified as Victim No. 4 who testified Monday, the 18-year-old cried several times on the stand when describing sex acts Mr. Sandusky performed on him.

But much like Victim No. 4, the witness today described an elaborate grooming process that began with Mr. Sandusky taking him swimming, putting his hand on his knee in the car, then inviting him for overnight stays.

They met after the boy had participated in at least two summer camps through the Second Mile.

During the overnight stays at the defendant's house, the teen said he primarily slept in a basement bedroom on a waterbed.

"At first, he would kiss me on the forehead good night," he testified. "Then it came to him kissing me on the cheek, and then him rubbing my back and pulling me on top of him and cracking my back. I kind of thought he sees me as family, and maybe this is what his family does. I didn't say anything. I didn't honestly think it was anything wrong."

The first time, the witness said, Mr. Sandusky performed oral sex on him, it began with him blowing on the boy's stomach.

Looking directly at the defendant, the young man then shook his head and looked down.

"He put his mouth on my privates," he said on the stand. "I didn't know what to do. I just kind of blacked out. I was froze."

Senior Deputy Attorney General Joseph McGettigan asked if he told the defendant to stop.

"No," he said, "I didn't know what to say. I was embarrassed, confused."

Some time later in the relationship, the witness testified, "he looked at me and said something along the lines of 'it's your turn,' and he made me put my mouth in his privates."

The witness later described an incident when he was trying to distance himself from Mr. Sandusky, when he said the defendant followed him home on the bus. When he tried to walk away from him, Mr. Sandusky got mad.

"He hollered at me," Victim No. 1 testified. "He was talking to me about why I'm not spending time with him, why I was avoiding his calls," he said. "I got extremely, extremely scared. I turned and started walking away. He was hollering at me to get in the car. I took off running. He sped to the alleyway."

When Mr. Sandusky couldn't find him, he said, he went to the boy's house and argued with the boy's mother about him.

Defense attorney Joe Amendola began his cross-examination shortly before 10 a.m.

The witness said his mother hired a private attorney for him to protect him from the press when news broke about the charges. He denied ever saying that they would get rich from the case.

Mr. Amendola spent a lot of time questioning the witness about inconsistencies in his testimony before the investigating grand jury and the statements he made to police.

During one session, he denied performing oral sex on the defendant. In another he said it happened multiple times. In addition, the witness said during one session that Mr. Sandusky performed oral sex on him at least 12 times, but at another he said it was more than 25.

As Mr. Amendola continued the questions, the witness clearly became frustrated, repeating his answers that his story changed multiple times because he was a young boy who was scared and that it was difficult to keep repeating his story to new people.

At one point during the questioning, the witness said, "you're, you're ..." and then he put his face in his hands, shaking his head and saying "Oh, God."

He started to cry. Mr. Amendola asked if he needed a break.

"I'd like you to stop asking me the same questions," the witness said.

Just before the lunch break a caseworker with the Clinton County Children & Youth Services testified about how alleged Victim No. 1 came forward.

After interviewing him twice, she found there was enough evidence to investigate Mr. Sandusky.

He agreed to meet with her and with Mr. Amendola in early 2009.

During that interview, Jessica Dershem said the defendant admitted to blowing raspberries on the boy's stomach, cracking his back while he lay on top of him and kissing him on the forehead.

"He denied that he had any sexual contact with him, or that there was any sexual intent with his actions," she said.

After her testimony concluded, Penn State assistant coach Mike McQueary took the stand just after 1:30 p.m.

After this morning's testimony, the attorney for Victim No. 1 spoke briefly.

"I thought he did well," Slade McLaughlin said. "I was very pleased, very impressed."

When asked about some of the inconsistencies in his client's statements, he said, "I do a lot of sex abuse cases. When you're talking about young men, there's going to be inconsistencies."

He also said that the source for Mr. Amendola's questioning about claims that Victim No. 1 said he was going to get rich from the case is a disgruntled neighbor who is misrepresenting what his client said.

Also testifying was Victim No. 1's grandfather and two employees from the Hilton Garden Inn in State College, who testified that Sandusky had permission to bring kids to the hotel's pool and gym.

homepage - breaking - state - psusports

Paula Reed Ward: or 412-263-2620; Mark Dent: First Published June 12, 2012 2:45 PM


Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?