Penn State women upset in second round of NCAA tournament

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

BATON ROUGE, La. -- Adrienne Webb scored a career-high 29 points, including two crucial free throws with 22 seconds left, and LSU beat third-seeded Penn State, 71-66, in the second round of the NCAA tournament Tuesday night at Maravich Assembly Center.

Bianca Lutley overcame foul trouble and capped an 18-point night with a tough floater in traffic in the final minute to give LSU the lead and another key free throw to make it a four-point game with 8.3 seconds to go.

Webb, a senior, was 10 of 16 in what would have been her final game had No. 6 seed LSU (22-11) lost. Instead, she carried LSU to the Spokane regional semifinal on a night the Lady Tigers had only seven available players.

Nikki Greene scored 16 points and Alex Bentley 14 for the Nittany Lions (26-6), whose loss means all four No. 3 seeds are out of the tournament.

LSU next meets No. 2 California Saturday.

The Lady Tigers opened the tournament with only eight healthy players, but reserve junior guard Jeanne Kenney's concussion in LSU's first-round victory sidelined her against the Lady Lions. Kenney, an emotional leader for the Lady Tigers, was not even in the stadium, but no official word as to why was immediately provided by LSU.

The Lady Tigers could not afford to have key players in foul trouble, but that's what happened. Lutley, a starting forward, was called for her fourth foul with 11:51 left. Then 6-foot-4 reserve center Derreyal Youngblood was called for her fourth with 6:01 to go.

That limited both players' aggressiveness in defending and rebounding, and Penn State appeared ready to pull away when Greene scored three times inside and Taylor hit a layup with Lutley backing away during an 8-0 run that gave the Lady Lions a 60-55 lead.

But Lutley responded with a 3, and LSU regained the lead, 63-62, on Webb's 3 with 3:04 left.

Ariel Edwards, who had 13 points for Penn State, drove past Lutley and Youngblood for a layup, then hit a pull-up jump shot with 54 seconds left that gave Penn State the lead for the final time, 66-65. But Lutley then dribbled into traffic in the lane and rolled in a shot for the lead with 40 seconds to go.

mobilehome - psusports


You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here