Attorneys given weeks for decision on Sandusky case's jury


Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

Attorneys involved in the criminal case of former Penn State University assistant football coach Jerry Sandusky have until Feb. 1 to decide if they want the trial on sexual molestation charges to be heard by a jury from Centre County or elsewhere.

McKean County Senior Judge John M. Cleland issued a scheduling order on Tuesday setting a variety of deadlines as the court case winds its way through the system.

The judge set a hearing date on pretrial motions for April 5.

In the meantime, investigators with the state attorney general's office are re-interviewing current and former employees of Penn State's athletic department as part of the criminal case against Mr. Sandusky, a person familiar with the case said Wednesday.

The person, who requested anonymity because no one was authorized to speak about the criminal investigation, told The Associated Press that current or ex-staffers of the football program were among those to be interviewed. A spokesman for the attorney general's office in Harrisburg declined to comment.

Mr. Sandusky, 67, is charged with 52 criminal counts related to the alleged sexual abuse of 10 boys over a 15-year period. He has denied the charges and remains out on $250,000 bail while awaiting trial.

Karl Rominger, an attorney representing Mr. Sandusky, said prosecutors would not be going back to people they have already interviewed if they had nailed down the facts the first time around.

"They had years to take statements and get reliable evidence," he said. "Going back after the fact shows they did not gather, and may never be able to gather, the proof they seek. Further, it suggests to jurors that charges were brought on flawed or inadequate information in the first instance."

Also on Wednesday, the attorney for Tim Curley -- Penn State's athletic director who is charged with perjury and failure to report the allegations against Mr. Sandusky -- confirmed that he is again fighting lung cancer.

He previously had half of one lung removed after a malignant cancerous tumor was discovered in June 2010, said his wife, Melinda Curley. He has not undergone chemotherapy or radiation.

"During this difficult time, Tim did not want his health to be a distraction and has been dealing with this privately," Ms. Curley said in a statement. "We are thankful for all the love and support he has received from family and friends and continue to hope for a full recovery."

His attorney, Caroline Roberto, said her client did not want his health issues to "overshadow or minimize the serious legal issues at hand.

"However, despite his illness, Mr. Curley has remained totally focused on doing whatever is necessary to demonstrate that he is not guilty of the crimes with which he has been charged."


The Associated Press contributed. Paula Reed Ward: pward@post-gazette.com or 412-263-2620. First Published January 12, 2012 5:00 AM


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here