Even though it was playing another team in the top five, Sewickley Academy continued its dominance Tuesday night against section opponents.
The top-ranked Class A Panthers (5-1, 3-0) got two goals and an assist from J.P. Bowell in a 6-0 victory against No. 4 Beaver County Christian (5-3, 2-1) in Section 5.
Steve Munn added a goal and an assist as Sewickley notched its 16th section win in a row.
This season, the Panthers have outscored section opponents, 17-0, in three games.
Other top boys games
• Matt Bisceglia gave Kiski Area (5-2, 3-1) a 2-0 lead in the first half, and the visiting Cavaliers held on for a 2-1 win against Franklin Regional (4-2, 3-2) in Class AAA Section 1.
• North Allegheny (7-0, 4-0) got two goals from Eric Cunningham in a 4-1 win against host Hampton (3-3, 2-3) in Class AAA Section 2.
• Matt Saluga scored the winning goal with a few seconds remaining in the first half as Seneca Valley (5-1-1) beat Pine-Richland (3-3-1, 1-3), 2-1, in Class AAA Section 2.
• Scott Fox scored with five minutes left in the second overtime to give host Hempfield (5-2-1) a 1-0 non-section win against Butler (5-3).
• Michael Cummings scored both goals in a 2-0 win for Class AA No. 1 West Allegheny (8-0, 4-0) against host Keystone Oaks (1-4, 1-4) in Section 5.
• Burrell's Tom Spanolo netted a hat trick in a 5-1 win for the Bucs (5-2, 4-0) against visiting Mount Pleasant (4-3, 3-2) in Class AA Section 1.
• Goalkeeper John Berdar had a shutout as host Beth-Center (5-1, 4-0) rolled to a 3-0 win against Class A No. 5 Monessen (7-1, 4-1) in a battle of the top two teams in Section 4.
• Jono Coles scored the winning goal five minutes into the second half to lead Class A No. 3 Winchester Thurston (5-1, 2-1) to a 3-2 win against visiting Jeannette (3-2, 1-2) in Section 1.
• Manuel Magallenes had two goals, including the winner with 15:55 remaining, to lift defending WPIAL Class A champion Riverside (4-2, 2-2) to a 2-1 win against visiting Quigley Catholic (2-4-1, 0-3).
• Senior Tyler Harris had three goals as McGuffey (7-2, 5-0) enjoyed a 12-0 rout against visiting Uniontown (1-5, 1-3) in Class AA Section 6.
• Freshman Brandan Miller scored all the goals for Aquinas Academy (2-1-2, 2-0-1) in a 3-1 win against Springdale (1-6, 0-2) in Class A Section 2.
Top girls soccer games
• Maddie Schwerzler scored with 22 minutes left to give Class AAA No. 4 Peters Township (7-2, 4-0) a 1-0 victory against No. 5 Chartiers Valley (8-1, 3-1) in Section 5.
• Olivia Sharbaugh had a goal and an assist to help Knoch (6-2, 4-1) beat host Highlands (4-4, 3-2), 3-1, in a battle for second place in Class AA Section 2.
Three's a charm
• Tatiana Ruzzini, Halle Hammer and Emily Kukan all had hat tricks in a 22-0 win for Class AAA No. 3 Bethel Park (7-1, 4-0) against Albert Gallatin (0-8, 0-5) in Section 4.
• There will be a new WPIAL Class AAA champion this year. Central Catholic Brent Rodgers, the defending champ, shot an 83 at the Section 3 championships at Hiland in Butler and failed to advance to the semifinals next week. Rodgers needed to shoot 80. Central Catholic's Matt Del Rosso was the medalist at 75.
• At the Section 7 championships at Cedarbrook Red in Rostraver, Upper St. Clair's Thomas Steve shot a three-under 68 to finish first. Steve is a Notre Dame recruit.
• Charleroi beat Waynesburg on the second playoff hole after the two teams tied at 189 in a Class AA Section 8 match at Rohanna's Golf Course. Gunnar Riley was the medalist, shooting a 1-under 32.
• Seton Hall recruit Macky Fouse shot a 1-under 36 to lead defending WPIAL Division II champion Central Valley to a 166-227 Class AA Section 2 win against Ellwood City at Delmar Golf Course.hsother
First Published September 18, 2013 4:00 AM