Early in its home contest against Gateway, heavily favored North Allegheny had an inkling this was not going to be an easy contest.
Gators sophomore Kayla Trozzi scored 1:05 into the first half to propel Gateway (10-7-1) to an early lead. This goal, coupled with a second-half goal by Hannah Feinberg, led Gateway to a 2-1 upset of the Tigers (15-3-1) Saturday afternoon in the first round of the WPIAL Class AAA girls soccer playoffs.
North Allegheny, the Section 2 co-champion, trailed Gateway 1-0 at half. The Tigers knotted the score on a goal by Amanda Miller with 20:35 left in the game. Feinberg scored the decisive goal with 6:13 left.
Gateway entered the contest as the third-place team in Section 3.
The Gators will play Bethel Park (16-2-1) in the quarterfinals after the Black Hawks nipped Plum (14-4), 1-0, on a goal by Tatiana Ruzzini.
• Top-ranked Fox Chapel (17-1-1) defeated Mt. Lebanon (9-8-2), 2-0. The host Foxes received goals from Taylor Cohen and Deena DeBaldo.
• Pine-Richland (12-5-2) needed a penalty kick shootout to eliminate Section 1 champion Penn-Trafford (12-6) at Norwin. The score was 0-0 after regulation play and two overtimes. Pine-Richland won the shootout, 3-0. Leah Roth, Maggie Shope and Katie Graszl netted the penalty-kick goals.
• No. 3 Peters Township (14-4-1) easily defeated visiting Latrobe (11-7-1), 3-0, as Carly Johns, Laurel Carpenter and Madeline LaVigna scored goals in the first 20 minutes.
• Section 4 champion Baldwin (12-4-2) fell to Upper St. Clair (10-5-2) at home, 3-1. The game was scoreless at halftime. The Panthers' Emma Hasco, Olivia Belack and Maddy Rocks each tallied a second-half goal.
• Freshman Carolina Lucci scored six goals in leading second-ranked Central Valley (16-0) to a 9-1 win against visiting Freeport (10-9-1).
• No. 3 Moon (18-1) blanked Beaver (9-9-1), 6-0, as Sydney Schipani scored three goals and Kallie Conte added two.
• Alex O'Brien scored on a free kick from 25 yards early in the second half to lead host Yough (15-4) to a 1-0 win against Elizabeth Forward (11-4-4).
• Meghan Lovett scored from a crossing pass by Marissa Zetty with 18 minutes left in regulation to lead Belle Vernon (14-4-1) to a 1-0 home win against South Fayette (10-8-1).
• Sewickley Academy (10-6-3) edged Vincentian (10-6-1), 1-0, at North Allegheny. Sophia Werner scored the only goal with 15 minutes left in the game.
• Maya Watkins rallied New Brighton (10-6-1) with two second-half goals to defeat favored South Allegheny (13-4-1) at Bethel Park. South Allegheny led, 1-0, at halftime on a goal by Amber Brownfield. It is the first time New Brighton has qualified for the playoffs.
• No. 5 Neshannock (12-2-3) escaped with a 1-0 win against Carlynton (8-8-2). Sydne Slingluff scored with 20 minutes left in the game.
Boys Class AA
• Zackery Bednar scored four goals, including three in the first half, to lead Mount Pleasant (12-5-1) to a 7-0 rout at Yough (8-9-1) in a preliminary round game. Sophomore Brandon Leeder added two goals.hssoccer
First Published October 19, 2013 8:00 PM