No WPIAL girls soccer teams met as many times as Greensburg Central Catholic and Springdale did a year ago.
Facing off for the first time this season, Class A No. 1 Greensburg Central Catholic earned a 2-1 overtime victory at No. 4 Springdale in Section 4.
Italia Biondi scored the winner in the first overtime for the Centurions (2-1, 2-0), who defeated the Dynamos (2-3, 2-1) three out of four matches last season, including in the WPIAL championship.
Springdale returned the favor in the PIAA semifinals.
• Courtney Hanchey scored the winning goal with 15 minutes remaining to lift Franklin Regional (5-1, 4-0) to a 3-2 win at Penn-Trafford (2-3, 2-1) in Class AAA Section 1.
• Class AAA No. 3 Pine-Richland (4-1, 1-1) got a goal from Olivia Brandy with 2:45 left to knock off visiting Butler (3-2, 1-2), 1-0, in Section 2.
• Allderdice (2-4, 1-3) picked up its first section win as a WPIAL team by defeating host Woodland Hills (0-3, 0-3), 1-0, in Class AAA Section 3. Riza Swartz scored the deciding goal with 15 minutes left in the second half.
• Lelah McCarthy scored with 10 seconds left in the second overtime to propel host Oakland Catholic (2-3, 2-1) to a 4-3 victory against Penn Hills (2-4, 1-2) in Class AAA Section 3.
• Olivia Sharbaugh's goal early in the second half proved to be the difference as Knoch (5-0, 3-0) won at Freeport (2-3, 1-2), 3-2, in Class AA Section 2.
• Christine Barthen had four goals and Antonia Grese added six assists for Class AA No. 1 Moon (4-0, 3-0) in a 12-0 win at South Fayette (1-5, 0-3) in Section 5.
• Burgettstown moved to 6-0 in Class AA Section 4 by defeating Bishop Canevin, 191-225, at Ponderosa Golf Course. Junior Owen Miller shot an even-par 35 for the Blue Devils.
• Ashley DeMoss finished with a 2-over 39 to lead Fox Chapel to a 201-234 win against Norwin in a Class AAA Section 3 match at Pittsburgh Field Club.
• Fox Chapel dropped only one game overall in defeating visiting Plum, 5-0, in Class AAA Section 3. Laurel Shymansky, Lacey Cohen and Maddy Hoffman each won singles matches, 6-0, 6-0.
• Kailey Vogl's two goals helped visiting North Allegheny defeat Latrobe, 3-0, in Class AAA Section 1.hssoccer