Monessen needed more than one overtime to win its PIAA playoff opener Friday.
The Greyhounds got the job done in two.
Clintell Gillaspie scored 31 points and Monessen rebounded from a lopsided loss in the WPIAL Class A championship to defeat Erie First Christian, 87-78, in a first-round game at Chartiers Valley.
Monessen (21-6) and Erie First Christian (15-10) were tied, 61-61, at the end of regulation and 69-69 after one overtime, but the Greyhounds outscored the Eagles, 18-9, in the second extra period.
Javon Brown added 18 points Monessen, which lost to Lincoln Park, 85-41, in the WPIAL final.
Romeo Kabongo led Erie First Christian with 23 points.
Other Class A
* Lincoln Park 96, Johnsonburg 47: Maverick Rowan scored 32 points and Elijah Minnie had 30 points and 20 rebounds to help the Leopards (26-1) avenge a loss in last year's semifinals by routing the Rams (21-5) at North Hills. The Leopards led by 28 points at the half. Antonio Kellem chipped in 17 points and 14 assists for the Leopards.
* North Catholic 56, Berlin Brothersvalley 44: Dom Robb scored 16 points and Ryan Kirby added 15 in leading the Trojans (16-10) to the win against the District 5 champion Mountaineers (23-3) at Pitt-Johnstown. The Trojans outscored the Mountaineers, 28-15, in the middle two quarters. It was North Catholic's first PIAA win since 2010.
* Vincentian 95, Cochranton 85: Jim Kenna (25) and Jamison Nee (24) combined for 49 points to vault the Royals (23-3) to the triumph against the District 10 champion Cardinals (21-4) at Meadville. Josh Vanderhoof scored 31 points for the Cardinals, who trailed by 18 points after three quarters.
* Chartiers Valley 68, Erie Strong Vincent 54: For the second year in a row, the Colts (25-2) defeated the Colonels (17-9) in a first-round game at Baldwin. Jerrad Tuite (21) eclipsed 20 points for the sixth game in a row for the Colts, who outscored the Colonels, 37-23, in the second half. Matty McConnell added 14 points.
* Thomas Jefferson 72, Erie East 66: The Jaguars (23-3) earned their first PIAA win since 2006 by eliminating the Warriors (20-6) at Mercyhurst University. Charlie Scharbo paced the Jaguars with 22 points and Jason Horan had 14. The Jaguars led, 30-27, at halftime and outscored the Warriors, 27-17, in the third quarter.
* Farrell 60, Montour 57: Dustin Sleva's 23 points weren't enough for the Spartans (16-9), who were edged by the District 10 champion Steelers (23-3) at Sharon. The Spartans trailed by six points after three quarters, but could not complete the comeback. Josh Randall added 12 points for the Spartans.
* Uniontown 87, Punxsutawney 54: Jordan Pratt's 22 points helped the Red Raiders (22-2) advance past the first round for the first time since 2002 by defeating the District 9 champion Chucks (14-10) at DuBois. Xavier Ellis scored 18 points and Joe Campbell added 12 for the Red Raiders, who led, 47-25, at halftime.