Thomas Jefferson’s Chase Winovich goes back up for a shot after grabbing a rebound over Baldwin’s Doug Altavilla, left, Monday at Baldwin. Thomas Jefferson won, 64-41.
From local dispatches
Another regular season, another unblemished record for New Castle.
The Class AAAA No. 1Red Hurricanes (22-0) led by 19 points after the first quarter and cruised to a 58-43 home win against Class AAA No. 2 Central Valley (18-3) Monday night.
It's the third consecutive unbeaten regular season for two-time defending WPIAL champion New Castle, which has now won 68 consecutive regular-season games.
The Red Hurricanes last regular-season loss came Feb. 8, 2011, against Blackhawk.
Malik Hooker led New Castle with 16 points, while Anthony Richards added 11.
Matt Kline had 14 points for Central Valley.
Other top boys games
* Jerrad Tuite scored 16 of his 26 points in the fourth quarter to help Class AAA No. 1 Chartiers Valley (21-1) rally past host Upper St. Clair (16-6), 60-55, in non-section. The Colts trailed by four entering the final quarter.
* Dasonte White hit seven 3-pointers on his way to 41 points as visiting Summit Academy (15-5) knocked off Class A No. 2 Vincentian (20-2), 108-99.
* Maverick Rowan scored 28 points to lift Class A No. 1 Lincoln Park (21-1) past visiting Montour (15-7), 82-60, in a non-section game.
* After a steal, D.J. Porter scored with seven seconds remaining to lift City League No. 1 Obama Academy (20-0, 9-0) to a 64-62 road win against No. 3 Perry (10-11, 6-3). Porter finished with 16 points.
Star of the night
* Mike Tappe of Aquinas Academy (2-18) tied his own school-record with 39 points in a 74-56 loss against Harvest Baptist in non-section.
Boys hot shots
* Players with five or more 3-pointers: Dasonte White, Summit Academy, 7; Billy Urso, Fox Chapel, 6; Kyle Toth, Geibel, 6; Mike Carter, North Allegheny, 5; Mason Mraz, Laurel, 5.
Top girls games
* Chassidy Omogrosso's 20 points led Class AAA No. 1 Blackhawk (19-2) to a 55-44 win against Class AAAA No. 2 Penn-Trafford (16-6).
* Class AAA No. 2 South Park (18-4) got 24 points from Halie Torris in a 65-48 home win against No. 3 Elizabeth Forward (18-3) in non-section.
* Brenna Wise had 20 points, 10 rebounds and 6 blocks to lead Class A No. 1 Vincentian (18-3) to a 37-28 victory against host Gateway (13-8) in non-section.
* Madison Serio had 15 points and hit two free throws with 24 seconds left to give host Upper St. Clair (14-6) a 51-50 non-section win against Class AA No. 4 Greensburg Central Catholic (17-4).
* Ciara Patterson of West Mifflin scored 19 points to give her 1,004 in her career as the host Titans (14-6) beat Class AA No. 1 Seton-LaSalle (18-4), 57-48, in a non-section game.
* Fox Chapel's Erin Mathias went over 1,000 points in her career in a 53-36 victory for the Foxes (17-4) against visiting Peters Township (7-15). Mathias had 22 points in the non-section game to boost her career total to 1,004.
* In the Fox Chapel-Peters Township boys game, Brian Papich of the Foxes (17-5) scored his 1,000th point in a 70-65 home win. He finished with 23 points to give him 1,005 for his career.
* Serra Catholic's Max Kaminsky had 21 points to give him 1,000 career points, but the Eagles (9-13) lost against host West Mifflin (12-6), 94-65.
Girls hot shots
* Players with four or more 3-pointers: Reilly Skerbetz, Bentworth, 4; Devvin LaBarge, North Allegheny, 4; Sierra Kotchman, Trinity, 4; Morgan Haas, Montour, 4.
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to
email@example.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner.