Hempfield's Dom Mori had one hit Monday night, and he made it count.
In a game with five home runs, Mori's two-run shot off Nick Amendola in the top of the eighth inning proved to be the difference in a 4-3 victory for the Class AAAA No. 3 Spartans (4-0, 1-0) against host Norwin (2-1, 0-1) in Section 2.
The Spartans got all their runs from home runs, with Joey DeFloria and Eric Loucks hitting each hitting a solo shot. Loucks went 3 for 4 and DeFloria was 2 for 3.
Norwin star shortstop J.J. Matijevic and Amendola each hit a home run for Norwin, with Amendola's coming in the eighth to get the Knights within a run. He finished with three hits.
But Marc Demilio got the final out with runners on first and second to notch the win. He allowed two earned runs in four innings.
Noah Smith allowed two runs on eight hits in seven innings for Norwin.
Other top baseball games
* Tyler Smith gave up three hits and struck out seven to lift Penn-Trafford (4-0, 1-0) to a 2-1 victory against host Kiski Area (3-1, 0-1) in Class AAAA Section 2. Scott Koscho had the winning RBI single for the Warriors.
* Luke Nugent went 3 for 4 with an RBI and three runs scored to help Class AAA No. 2 Hampton (1-1) take down Class AAAA No. 2 Seneca Valley (1-1), 8-2, in non-section. Ben Vey pitched three scoreless innings to earn the victory.
* Andrew Nussbaum went 3 for 3 with two walks to lead No. 4 Pine-Richland (3-1) to a 13-4 victory against visiting Butler (3-2) in non-section.
* Frankie Fraschetti struck out 12 to help visiting Neshannock (5-0, 1-0) stay unbeaten with a 3-2 victory against Ellwood City (3-3, 0-1) in Class AA Section 5.
* No. 1 Quaker Valley (2-0, 1-0) scored two runs in the sixth to beat visiting Carlynton (0-3, 0-1), 2-1, in Class AA Section 1. Tyler Garbee earned the win, allowing three hits and striking out 11 in six innings.
Baseball stars of the day
* Colin McKee threw a one-hitter, striking out 12 and walking two, in an 8-0 victory for Laurel Highlands (3-2, 1-0) against host Derry (1-2, 0-1) in Class AAA Section 2.
* Serra Catholic freshman Cole McComb allowed two hits while striking out 12 to lead the host Eagles (1-2) to a 10-0 win against Springdale (0-3) in six innings in non-section.
Top softball games
* Kayla Seidl scored the winning run on Lauren Miller's suicide squeeze in the seventh as Class AAAA No. 3 Shaler (3-1, 2-1) escaped with a 1-0 victory against visiting Butler (1-2, 1-2) in Section 3. Bri Dobson threw a five-hitter to get the win.
* Class AAAA No. 2 Canon-McMillan (3-0, 3-0) hit four home runs in a 16-3 victory in five innings against host Mt. Lebanon (0-4, 0-3) in Section 4. Abby McCartney had one of the home runs and finished with four RBIs.
* Kristen Trohaugh went 2 for 3 with a three-run home run to propel Class AAA No. 1 Montour (2-4, 1-2) to a 6-4 victory against visiting West Allegheny (2-1, 2-1) in Section 2.
Softball stars of the day
* Madison Lewis threw a two-hit shutout with 12 strikeouts and hit a two-run home run to lead Gateway (2-0, 2-0) to a 10-0 victory against Oakland Catholic (0-2, 0-2) in six innings in Class AAAA Section 2.
* Quaker Valley's Alexis Glenn went 3 for 4 with two doubles and six RBIs in a 13-6 win for the Quakers (1-0) against Northgate (0-2) in non-section.