South Park lost just one game to a Pennsylvania team last season on its way to the WPIAL and PIAA Class AAA championships.
This season, the Eagles suffered their first loss to a state team in their first game.
Hempfield's Lexi Irwin hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to lift the Class AAAA Spartans to a 63-60 victory against Class AAA No. 2 South Park at the Bethel Park tournament.
Irwin finished with 12 points, but Monica Burns led the way for the Spartans. The senior guard hit five 3-pointers and converted all 15 of her free throws on her way to a 32-point night.
Allison McGrath led South Park with 24 points.
Other top games
* Natalie Myers had 16 points to lift Class AA No. 2 Burrell to a 48-30 victory against Class AAAA No. 2 Fox Chapel in the Seneca Valley tournament.
* Class AAAA No. 4 Mt. Lebanon beat Altoona, 59-49, in the North Allegheny tournament behind 23 points from Margie McCaffrey.
* McKeesport rallied from a seven-point deficit entering the fourth quarter to beat Class AAA No. 5 West Mifflin, 50-49, at the McKeesport tournament. Nassiah Bray led the Tigers with 18 points.
* Katie Kush had 13 points to lead Oakland Catholic to a 45-39 victory against Class AA No. 3 Our Lady of the Sacred Heart at the Oakland Catholic tournament.
* Defending WPIAL and Class AA champion Bishop Canevin got 19 points from Johnie Olkosky in a 50-42 victory against Class A No. 4 North Catholic at the Oakland Catholic tournament.
* Carolyn Appleby scored 22 points to lead Greensburg Central Catholic to a 46-41 victory against Mars at the Blackhawk tournament.
Stars of the night
* Kiana Law had a school-record 40 points to lead Class AAA No. 3 Central Valley to a 53-35 victory against Montour at the Fort Cherry tournament. Law also had 10 rebounds and five steals.
* Canon-McMillan's Olivia Lorusso only played the first half of the Big Macs' 60-17 win against Steel Valley at the Moon tournament, but she recorded a triple-double with 19 points, 10 rebounds and 10 assists.
* After missing all of last season with a knee injury, Carlynton's Conor Richardson scored 23 points in the Cougars' 60-21 win against Ellwood City at the South Side Beaver tournament. Richardson scored 21 of her points in the first half.
* Players with four or more 3-pointers: Monica Burns, Hempfield, 5; Caroline Cree, Carmichaels, 5; Sarah Fischer, Ambridge, 4; Katie Kush, Oakland Catholic, 4.