Most farmers markets are open and bustling now. Find our list of more than 130 of them in the region, and an interactive map, at post-gazette.com/food.
There is a Bakery Square Sunday Marketplace at 6425 Penn Ave., East Liberty, from noon to 4 p.m. today.
It has a funny name, but kohlrabi is a versatile vegetable that is delicious cooked or raw, as in this easy recipe.
- 2 medium kohlrabi, peeled shredded
- 2 small carrots, shredded
- 1 tablespoon shredded onion
- 1/3 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
Combine the shredded kohlrabi with the shredded carrots and onion in a bowl. Combine the remaining ingredients, in a separate bowl, and blend well. Pour over the shredded vegetables and toss to coat well. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, to allow the flavors to intensify.
Makes about 6 servings.
-- Main Street Farmers Market, Washington, Pa.food - recipes