This yummy, three-layer salad might be an oldie, but it's definitely a goodie. And it's just as good for dessert.
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 1/2 cups crushed pretzels
- 1 (6-ounce) package strawberry flavored gelatin
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 cups strawberries, chilled
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Cream butter or margarine with the brown sugar. Mix in the pretzels and pat mixture into the bottom of one 9- by 13-inch baking pan. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Set aside to cool.
In a medium bowl, dissolve the gelatin in the boiling water and stir in the strawberries. Chill until partially thickened.
In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and white sugar together until smooth. Fold in the whipped cream. Spread mixture over the top of the cooled crust, making sure to seal the edges. Chill until firm, then pour the gelatin mixture over the cream cheese layer.
Chill until firm.
Serves 10 to 12.
-- Amy Garrison, Ben Avon