Central African Republic: Group Reports New Deadly Attacks

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

Correction Appended

A new wave of attacks and killings has engulfed parts of the Central African Republic, Doctors Without Borders reported Wednesday. The organization is one of the few international aid providers that has remained in the country, which has descended into near-total chaos in the past half year. In a statement, Doctors Without Borders said more than 30,000 people had been displaced in the northwestern town of Bossangoa, and thousands more in surrounding areas.

Erna Rijinierse, a surgeon, said that she and her colleagues had treated dozens of victims, including women and children, largely for gunshot and machete wounds. "We are horrified by what we are seeing," the surgeon said. The statement came less than a week after the United Nations Security Council approved a resolution aimed at stabilizing the country by supporting a multinational African Union force deploying there. The force will try to stop armed rebels, known as the Seleka, who have been widely blamed for destabilizing the weak interim government.

Correction: October 17, 2013, Thursday

This article has been revised to reflect the following correction: An earlier version of this article incorrectly referred to Erna Rijinierse, a Doctors Without Borders surgeon. Dr. Rijinierse is a woman.

world

This article originally appeared in The New York Times. First Published October 17, 2013 2:01 PM


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here