Police hold 2 in al-Qaida-linked Canada plot

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

TORONTO -- Two men were arrested and charged with plotting a terrorist attack against a Canadian passenger train with support from al-Qaida elements in Iran, police said Monday. The case bolstered allegations by some governments and experts of a relationship of convenience between Shiite-led Iran and the predominantly Sunni Arab terrorist network.

Chiheb Esseghaier, 30, and Raed Jaser, 35, had "direction and guidance" from al-Qaida members in Iran, though there was no reason to think the planned attacks were state-sponsored, said Assistant Commissioner James Malizia of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Police said the men did not get financial support from al-Qaida, but declined to provide more details.

"This is the first known al-Qaida-planned attack that we've experienced in Canada," superintendent Doug Best told a news conference. Officials in Washington and Toronto said the case had no connections to last week's bombings at the Boston Marathon.

The arrests in Montreal and Toronto raised questions about Iran's murky relationship with the terrorist network. Bruce Riedel, a CIA veteran who is now a Brookings Institution senior fellow, said al-Qaida has had a clandestine presence in Iran since at least 2001, and that neither the terror group nor Tehran speak openly about it. "The Iranian regime kept some of these elements under house arrest," he said in an email. "Some probably operate covertly. AQ [al-Qaida] members often transit Iran, traveling between hideouts in Pakistan and Iraq."

U.S. intelligence officials have long tracked limited al-Qaida activity inside Iran. Remnants of al-Qaida's so-called management council are still there, though usually kept under virtual house arrest by an Iranian regime suspicious of the Sunni-/Salafi-based militant movement. There are also financiers and facilitators who help move money, and sometimes arms and people, throughout the region from their base in Iran.

Last fall, the Obama administration offered as much as $12 million in rewards for information leading to capture of two al-Qaida leaders based in Iran. The U.S. State Department described them as key facilitators in sending extremists to Iraq and Afghanistan. The U.S. Treasury Department also announced financial penalties against one.

Alireza Miryousefi, spokesman for Iran's U.N. mission, said in an email statement Monday that the terrorist network does not operate in Iran. "Iran's position against this group is very clear and well known. [Al-Qaida] has no possibility to do any activity inside Iran or conduct any operation abroad from Iran's territory," he said. "We reject strongly and categorically any connection to this story."

The investigation surrounding the planned attack was part of a cross-border operation involving Canadian law enforcement agencies, the FBI and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

The attack "was definitely in the planning stage, but not imminent," RCMP chief superintendent Jennifer Strachan said Monday. "We are alleging that these two individuals took steps and conducted activities to initiate a terrorist attack. They watched trains and railways."

Ms. Strachan said they were targeting a route, but did not say whether it was a cross-border one.

world


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here