Corbett campaign has $7.5 million for upcoming governor's race

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

HARRISBURG -- Gov. Tom Corbett’s re-election campaign has $7.5 million cash on hand after raising $6.8 million in 2013, campaign manager Mike Barley said Wednesday.

The Republican governor will face one of several Democratic challengers who must navigate a crowded primary in May before going head-to-head with Mr. Corbett in November. The 2013 fundraising reports aren’t due to the state until Jan. 31, but campaigns have revealed some of their numbers.

Mr. Corbett’s cash on hand is ahead of that of state Treasurer Rob McCord, the only high-level Democratic campaign so far to reveal its available funds.

In his 2010 campaign, Mr. Corbett raised about $25 million.

Pennsylvania governors do not typically raise as much money for their re-election campaigns, said Terry Madonna, a professor of political science at Franklin & Marshall College. And Mr. Corbett faces no serious primary challenger.

But he will need money to turn around lackluster public approval numbers, Mr. Madonna said.

“Tom Corbett is not going to have a campaign finance problem,” he said. “He needs the money to get voters to give him a second look.”

Among the Democratic challengers, Mr. McCord’s campaign will report a cash balance of $6 million and $6.6 million raised in 2013, which includes $1.7 million from the candidate, $1.334 million in donations from 2012 and $3.6 million in new donations from third parties, according to spokesman Mark Nevins.

U.S. Rep. Allyson Schwartz has raised $6.5 million, adding $3.4 million in new donations to a $3.1 million transfer from her federal campaign, according to her campaign. And the campaign of York County businessman Tom Wolf, a former state revenue secretary, says his 2013 receipts total $13.27 million, including $10 million from him and his wife.

Both campaigns say they will wait until the filing deadline to reveal their cash on hand.

The campaign of Katie McGinty, who served in the Clinton and Rendell administrations, has not released its numbers. Nor has the campaign of John Hanger, who, like Ms. McGinty, served as secretary of environmental protection.


James O'Toole contributed. Karen Langley: klangley@post-gazette.com or 71-787-2141 or on Twitter @karen_langley.

Join the conversation:

Commenting policy | How to report abuse
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to socialmedia@post-gazette.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner. Thank you.
Commenting policy | How to report abuse

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here