Pennsylvania's death toll rises to 14 in superstorm Sandy

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

MIDDLETOWN, Pa. -- Fourteen deaths in Pennsylvania are now believed to have been connected to superstorm Sandy earlier this week.

Five of those deaths have been confirmed as storm-related, while nine await official confirmation, Glenn Cannon, director of the Pennsylvania Emergency Management Agency, said this morning.

The number is an increase from the seven deaths reported Thursday to be related to the storm, he said.

Gov. Tom Corbett listed the causes of those deaths during an appearance in which he sent off 50 emergency medical service providers to assist residents of New Jersey with hurricane recovery.

Two deaths, one in Berks County and one in Susquehanna County, related to falling trees.

One in Northampton County resulted from an ATV accident.

A fourth died in Lancaster County from a tree-trimming accident before the storm.

A fifth resulted from a traffic accident in Somerset County. One person died from hypothermia in Lehigh County. Two people died in a fire in Bucks County. Two elderly people were found dead in Wayne County. And four people were poisoned by carbon monoxide, one each in Montgomery, Carbon, Lehigh and Berks counties.

Mr. Corbett and Mr. Cannon warned against running generators in garages connected to homes. Restoring power remains the biggest public safety concern in the aftermath of the storm, Mr. Cannon said.

"When it's cold and there's no power people do crazy things related to keeping warm, and that leads to injury and death," Mr. Cannon said.

As of 6 a.m., 335,000 customers in Pennsylvania were still without electricity, Mr. Corbett said. Outages in the state peaked earlier this week at about 1.25 million customers.

Four bridges and 209 roads remain closed in the state, and 12 shelters are hosting 198 people, the governor said. He said 650 National Guard troops are still assisting with storm recovery. Troops have distributed 420,000 bottles of water and 150,000 meals, he said. mobilehome - breaking - state

Karen Langley: klangley@post-gazette.com or 717-787-2141.


Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here