• A free Runners Self Defense seminar will be held at 9 a.m. to noon June 9 at the Winchester Thurston Soccer/Fields Hockey field on Ellsworth Avenue in Shadyside. Organized by Steve DeMasco's Shaolin Studios of Regent Square and True Runner of Shadyside, the seminar will teach basic self-defense skills as well as runners' awareness safety.
Unlike other runner safety seminars, Shaolin Studios instructors Steve and Lisa Nakamura will show participants how to make contact with their kicks and punches on bags. All participants will have an opportunity to fight back against a mock attacker wearing full combat training armour. To sign up, call True Runner at 412-683-2468. Class is capped at 30 participants.
• The Bridge to Hope Family Support Group, an outreach program of Passavant Hospital Foundation, is sponsoring its annual Vigil of Hope for those who have lost family members to addiction at 7 p.m. Wednesday at the Passavant Hospital Foundation Legacy Theatre, on the McCandless campus of UPMC Passavant. Family and friends are encouraged to bring photos of loved ones. Sally Wiggin of WTAE-TV is serving as mistress of ceremonies. Call 412-367-6550.
• The YMCA is holding a Health Expo for African American Living from 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday at its Homewood/Brushton location, 7140 Bennett St. Call 412-243-2900.
• Blind & Vision Rehabilitation Services of Pittsburgh 1800 West St., Homestead, is holding Vibrant, an art show and exhibit featuring work created by adults with disabilities. An artist "meet and greet" is taking place from 12:30 to 2 p.m. Wednesday; an evening exhibit and hors d'oeuvres are planned from 4 to 6 p.m. Thursday. Arts and crafts items are be available for purchase, with proceeds going to programs for adults with disabilities. Call 412-368-4400 ext. 2297.
• The Crohn's & Colitis Foundation of America is holding "Take Steps for Crohn's & Colitis" at 3:30 p.m. Sunday on the Fine Arts Lawn at Carnegie Mellon University, 5000 Fifth Ave., Oakland. The cost is $25, $100 for a shirt. Call 412-823-8272 ext. 4.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a bone density screening from 1 to 3 p.m. Wednesday at its Healthy Directions health resource center, Finleyville Giant Eagle, 3701 Brownsville Road, Union. For more information, call 724-348-6699.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring a skin cancer screening at 6 p.m. Wednesday at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Appointments are required, and space is limited to six. To register, call 724-274-5202.
• To find a blood drive near you call:
- The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
- The American Red Cross, 1-800-448-3543. For bloodmobile locations, check http://www.redcrosslife.org.
• Presbyterian Senior Care, 835 S. Main St., Washington, Pa., is holding the following seminars on Wednesday. To register, call 724-250-4981.
- "What to Do Before the Ambulance Arrives," 10 a.m.
- "Medications and Senior Citizens," 10:45 a.m.
- "Chest Pain: What Do I Do?" 12:30 p.m.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring the following programs at 6 p.m. in the Willow Room of its Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver, as part of its "Innovations in Medicine" series. To register, call 724-258-1333.
- "How to Know if you Need a Joint Replacement/Revision," Wednesday. Speaker: Ari Pressman.
- "Why Do You Need a Primary Care Physician?" next Monday. Speaker: Laurie S. Molinda.
• The East End Food Co-Op, 7516 Meade St., Point Breeze, is sponsoring "Reducing Cancer Risk Through Diet" at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday. Speaker is George Eisman of Coalition for Cancer Prevention. For reservations, call 412-242-3598.
• The PriorityCare program of Allegheny Valley Hospital, Harrison, is hosting "Hip and Knee Surgeries" at 6 p.m. Thursday in its Charles W. Young Conference Center. Presenter is orthopedic surgeon Michael Miller. To register, call 724-226-7339.
• East End Food Co-Op, 7516 Meade St., Point Breeze, is sponsoring wellness workshops at 8:30 a.m. Tuesday, June 12 and 20. Speaker is Erin Hart of American HealthCare Group. Also included are tours of the co-op. Call 412-242-3598.
• VA Butler is offering a chronic pain workshop for veterans and families from 9:30 a.m. to 3 p.m. Tuesday in its Healthcare Auditorium, 325 New Castle Road, Butler Township. Speaker is Penney Cowan, founder and CEO of the American Chronic Pain Association. To register, call 1-800-533-3231.
• Western Psychiatric Institute and Clinic of UPMC, in conjunction with the Allegheny Family Network and the National Alliance on Mental Illness, is offering "You Are Not Alone: Facts About Mental Health and Mental Illness" from 10 a.m. to noon Thursday in the Kaufman Building at the Hill House Association, 1825 Centre Ave.; and 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. June 12 at Pleasant Hills Presbyterian Church, 199 Clairton Road. Call 412-204-9090.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring the following classes from 5 to 8 p.m. at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Registration is required, and space is limited to eight. Cost includes required manual. Call 724-274-5202.
- Heartsaver first aid, including CPR and AED, next Monday and June 11. Cost: $35 for one, $50 for both.
- Heartsaver CPR/AED, June 11. Cost: $35.
• Excela Health is sponsoring the following classes at Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
- Breastfeeding Success, 7 to 9:30 p.m. Thursday, Conference Room D, first floor; or 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Memorial Conference Center, Ground Floor.
- Your Changing Body for Girls, for girls ages 9 to 13 and their parents or guardians, 6 to 8 p.m. Friday, Conference Room D.
- Childbirth and Beyond, 7 to 9:30 p.m. three consecutive Mondays beginning next Monday, Memorial Conference Center.
- Family and Friends CPR meets 6 to 9 p.m. June 11, Conference Room D.
• Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh/UPMC is sponsoring "CPR: Infant, Child and Teen" from 9 a.m. to noon Saturday at the Children's Oakland Medical Building, 3420 Fifth Ave. The cost is $30, and registration is required. Call 412-692-7105.
• The Allegheny County Health Department is sponsoring a food protection certification course from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. next Monday and 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. June 17 at the Charles Morris Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 5680 Munhall Road, Squirrel Hill. The cost is $75, $60 for those who live or work in the county. Call 412-687-2243 or 412-578-8044.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is holding registration for American Cancer Society's Cancer Prevention Study-3 from 8 a.m. to noon Thursday in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. Call 1-888-604-5888.
• Self Help Group Network, a service of PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.
• The Moon Township Public Library, suite 100, 1700 Beaver Grade Road, is sponsoring WiseWalk sessions for older adults ages 50 and up at 9 a.m. Tuesdays or 6:30 p.m. Wednesdays. Call 412-269-0334.
• The "Color Me Rad" race is taking place at 9 a.m. and 1 p.m. Sunday at First Niagara Pavilion, 605 Route 18, Hanover, Washington County. The cost is $50, and the deadline is Thursday. A portion of the proceeds benefit the Ronald McDonald House. For more information, call 1-801-636-4439.health
First Published June 3, 2013 12:15 AM