Northgate Junior-Senior High School officials alerted students and staff this week that a staph infection had been confirmed in the district, forcing all activities in and around the building to be relocated.
District Superintendent Joseph Pasquerilla said he was informed Thursday that a staph infection, also known as Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus, or simply MRSA, had been confirmed in a school staffer.
Proper and timely steps were taken in order to alert everyone to the incident, Mr. Pasquerilla said, and a third-party specialty cleaning and decontamination crew will begin work on the building Friday or Monday.
These efforts are expected to last through most of next week, but the school will reclaim full operation immediately following these procedures, he said.
MRSA is an infection typically caused by a strain of bacteria that's resistant to certain antibiotics that would otherwise treat it. More information can be found at the site for the Centers for Disease Control at cdc.gov.
First Published July 18, 2014 12:00 AM