Education resources online

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

Sometimes, help on a question about schools can be just a click or two away. This list provides Internet links to answers to questions about K-12 schools, higher education and adult education.


How can I find a school?

The state Department of Education lists public and nonpublic schools in Pennsylvania. In many cases, the site includes links to a school's Web site. The schools are listed by the county in which they are based, but charter schools are open to any resident of Pennsylvania. A full list of cyber charter schools, which serve the entire state, can be found in the statewide list of charter schools on this site.

What are charter schools?

Charter schools are public schools open to any state resident. The resident's school district pays for each student who attends. More information -- including the laws governing them and their locations -- is available on the state Department of Education Web site.

What does the federal No Child Left Behind Act require?

This law requires states to test students in grades 3 through 8 and once in high school. It calls for all students to be proficient by 2014. Schools that miss the requirements along the way face sanctions. The full text of the law can be found on the U.S. Department of Education Web site.

How well is my school doing?

Reading and math test scores, graduation rates and student attendance are at the heart of the requirements of the federal No Child Left Behind Act. Each school must make "adequate yearly progress" or face sanctions. This site provides details on how every public school in Pennsylvania performed in meeting the AYP standards.

More information on student test results can be found on the Pennsylvania Department of Education Web site. This includes results of the Pennsylvania System of School Assessment tests in math, reading, writing and science. This site shows results on the tests for school, districts and by subgroups, such as race and income. The test results may vary slightly from those on the AYP site because there are some differences in the students counted.

Council of Chief State School Officers has a Web site that provides information on test scores, school spending and demographics for public schools in Pennsylvania and elsewhere.

What is the average SAT score in my high school?

The state Department of Education provides the information on its website. Search the term "public school SAT".average SAT scores for public high schools throughout the state.

What are the academic standards in Pennsylvania?

The academic standards are known as Chapter 4 of the Pennsylvania Code. long lists of what students should learn at various grade levels in reading, writing, speaking and listening; math; history; science and technology; environment and ecology; arts and humanities; career education and work; civics and government; economics; family and consumer science; geography; and health, safety and physical education.

What are the graduation requirements in Pennsylvania?

Pennsylvania requires students to meet state academic standards and will require students to pass certain end-of-course exams for graduation. The graduation requirements are part of Chapter 4 of the Pennsylvania Code, which can be found on the Pennsylvania Code page. The graduation test requirements, published in January 2010, can be found on the page of the Pennsylvania Bulletin.

How do Pennsylvania students compare with others in the nation?

The National Assessment of Educational Progress -- known as the Nation's Report Card -- compares how students in each state fare on national tests.

How do students compare with students throughout the world?

One of the best-known yardsticks is the Trends in Math and Science Study, known as TIMSS. The most recent results available are for data collected in 2007.

Another international study is the Progress in International Reading Literacy Study, known as PIRLS, which is from 2006.

What are the rules for homeschooling a child?

The state Department of Education has rules governing homeschoolers.

What are children in special education entitled to?

The state Department of Education Web site explains the special education rules, including requirements for an individualized education program, known as an IEP.

The state law pertaining to special education rights -- Title 22, Chapter 14 of the state code -- also can be found on the Web.

Federal laws also govern services to special education students through the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004. This federal site helps to explain the law.

This site provides a copy of the Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004.

What are gifted children entitled to?

The state Department of Education's rules and resources on gifted children can be found on its Web site.

The state law covering the gifted -- Title 22, Chapter 16 of the state code -- also can be found on the Web.

How many students are in my school?

Enrollment figures can be found on the state Department of Education Web site.

What are the rules for playing high school sports?

High school sports are governed by the Pennsylvania Interscholastic Athletic Association. Rules can be found on its Web site.

How much is my school spending?

The state Department of Education provides selected information on expenditures and revenues from school districts' annual financial reports.

How much is property tax in Allegheny County school districts?

The Allegheny County treasurer's office lists millage rates on its Web site. One mill amounts to $1 for each $1,000 of property value taxed.

How can I get financial aid for a nonpublic elementary or secondary school student?

Each school has its own policies, and some have their own sources of money. Some aid is provided through the state Educational Improvement Tax Credits which provide tax credits to businesses that donate to scholarship organizations. The same page also provides lists of scholarship organizations -- linked from near the bottom of the page.

When can teachers strike?

Teachers strikes are governed by Act 88 of 1992. Among other things, the act ensures public school students receive at least 180 days of instruction.

Which teachers have had their certificates revoked?

The state Department of Education periodically publishes lists of educators whose certificates have been revoked or suspended. It does not comment on any that may or may not be under investigation.


What tests do I have to take to get into college?

There are two main college entrance exams: the SAT, which is the most popular in Pennsylvania, and the ACT. Many colleges will accept the results of either.

Information on the SAT, including an SAT question of the day:

Information on the ACT:

Some schools do not require college entrance exams for at least some of their programs. FairTest, a nonprofit advocacy group, keeps a list of these.

What colleges, universities and trade schools are in Pennsylvania?

The state Department of Education lists all schools by category on its Web site. Many have links to the school's own Web site.

How can I find out more about higher education choices?

The College Board Web site has a "College Quick Finder" and a "College Matchmaker" which can help you to learn more about a specific two-year or four-year college or find ones with the characteristics you want.

The National Center for Education Statistics has a Web site called the College Navigator -- COOL -- that can help you find or provide information on a school. It covers more than 7,000 schools offering certificates and associate, bachelor's and graduate degrees.

The Princeton Review and Seventeen magazine have "Counselor-O-Matic" which suggests colleges based on a student's input.

How much is tuition?

This state Department of Education link provides an easy way to compare tuition across schools in Pennsylvania. For schools across the country, the COOL link can provide tuition information. The most up-to-date information usually can be found on each school's Web site.

What are the graduation rates of colleges?

The Education Trust, a nonprofit group, has a Web site with graduation rates for many colleges and universities. Users also can compare a school with similar schools.

Where can I get money for higher education?

Many free Web sites have information on financial aid. Here's a sampling:

Financial aid forms

Federal financial aid form required by nearly every school.

CSS/Financial Aid PROFILE form required by some colleges and universities.

General financial aid information

Comprehensive government site explaining federal student aid.

National Center for Education Statistics site includes information on college costs, aid by school.

American Education Services (PHEAA) site covering range of topics.

Site created by financial aid planner Mark Kantrowitz. Its scholarship search uses FastWeb.

American Council on Education site explaining costs, choices

Petersons offers financial aid, other information

site has section on paying for college

Princeton Review offers information on finance, calculators, tips on filling out forms.

The site of large lender Sallie Mae includes tips on loans, other financial aid

Sports scholarships

National Collegiate Athletic Association

National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics

National Junior College Athletic Association

National Christian College Athletic Association


Guide to 529 college savings plans


Wide variety of financial calculators.

College Board site with Expected Family Contribution, college cost calculators.

Citibank site includes college budget, family contribution and loan calculators.

Savings calculator.

What financial aid is available for specifically for Pennsylvania residents?

This is managed through the Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency.

Where can I get advice on higher education?

The Post-Gazette has published several special sections containing higher education advice available online.

Getting Smarter

Getting Your Money's Worth

What's Your Major?

Navigating Student Loans

Where the Money Is

Who Gets In?

Making Choices

How safe is my campus?

The Office of Postsecondary Education in the U.S. Department of Education provides campus crime data.


Where can an adult get help earning a GED or learning to read?

The Greater Pittsburgh Literacy Council provides help in a variety of literacy areas, including basic skills and GED preparation.


You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here