One held, one released in death of McKees Rocks activist

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

An Elliot man told police this week that they arrested the wrong man in the January beating death of a McKees Rocks activist, according to court documents.

Londele Cox, 21, was arraigned Thursday on charges of homicide, robbery and tampering with evidence in the death of 61-year-old Isaiah Dent.

Sean Overton, 20, of Moon was arrested in connection with Mr. Dent's death earlier this year. Charges against him will be dropped, according to a spokesman for the Allegheny County district attorney's office.

McKees Rocks police found Mr. Dent dead in the bathroom of his home in the Hays Manor housing complex Jan. 28. His family had reported that they couldn't reach him. He had puncture wounds on his face and signs of other beating injuries on his head.

Gold chains remained on his neck, and marijuana was found in his pocket. His cell phone was missing.

Allegheny County homicide detectives learned later that calls were still being made from Mr. Dent's cell phone.

A woman named Kimberly Johnson, no age or hometown listed, told police that Mr. Overton had called her and said he had killed Mr. Dent, prompting his arrest, according to a criminal complaint.

County homicide detectives continued tracing a series of phone calls made from Mr. Dent's cell phone and those of people who received calls from it and contacted Mr. Cox on Wednesday.

Mr. Cox told detectives that he went to Mr. Dent's home to buy marijuana Jan. 25, as he had before. He said Mr. Dent began talking about an instance in which Mr. Cox claimed he had been sexually assaulted by three members of his former wrestling team.

Mr. Dent told Mr. Cox he probably looked good in his uniform and said, "You don't always have to buy weed, you can do other things, if you know what I mean," according to the complaint.

Mr. Cox cried while he told detectives that he "snapped" and hit Mr. Dent with a glass cube and struck him with a "towel pole" so many times he lost count, police wrote. He told police that he turned Mr. Dent over after he collapsed on the bathroom floor and ran off with the cell phone, the towel bar and Mr. Dent's bracelets.

Blaine Jones, the attorney representing Mr. Overton, said Mr. Cox had contacted his office about representing him.

Of Mr. Overton's release, Mr. Jones said, "If things are going the way I think they're going, then I do commend the DA's office. Sean maintained his innocence from the moment I met him. There was no evidence whatsoever linking Sean, just the word of a jilted lover."

mobilehome - neigh_city - breaking - neigh_west

Liz Navratil:, 412-263-1438 or on Twitter @LizNavratil.


Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?