Authorities today withdrew charges against another man in a home invasion shooting that left a Clairton police officer in critical condition.
The withdrawal of the charges against Travis Earl Evans, 19, of Wilkinsburg, was announced at a preliminary hearing today in Glassport.
Authorities had previously withdrawn the same charges against Myles J. Hutchinson, 21, of McKeesport.
Also at the hearing, another defendant, Marcus Andrejco, 18, of Rankin, was held for trial in the incident.
Deputy District Attorney Daniel Fitzsimmons told District Judge Armand Martin that prosecutors were withdrawing all charges against Mr. Evans despite the fact that one of the victims pegged him from a photo lineup.
Deputy Public Defender Khadija Diggs told reporters that county police were able to confirm his alibi that he was elsewhere the night of the shooting.
Officer James Kuzak, 39, has been hospitalized since the April 4 home invasion, in which police said a pair of gunmen forced their way into a house on Miller Avenue demanding drugs and cash. Police said they threatened to kill a man, a woman and two young children who were inside. Officer Kuzak was shot three times by one of the gunmen as they burst out a back door and escaped.
Mr. Martin ordered Mr. Evans held for trial in the case and refused to grant bond.