Two men whose sons died in a fire at their North Versailles apartment in 2011 filed a lawsuit Thursday against two companies whose products may have been responsible for the blaze.
Krisdon Pollard Williams, 4, and KiDonn Pollard Ford, 7, were killed when they became trapped inside their apartment after their mother, Kiaira Pollard, left them overnight on June 30, 2011, to go to work as an exotic dancer.
The lawsuit, filed by Krisdon's father, Christopher Williams and KiDonn's father, Brandon Ford, blames the fire on either a faulty curling iron or air conditioning unit.
Named as defendants are Ko & Ko Enterprises Inc., doing business as King's Collections, where the curling iron was purchased; Belson Products, who made or distributed it; and A M Parts Inc., doing business as Johnstone Supply, which was notified of the problems with the AC unit.
Ms. Pollard pleaded guilty last year to two counts of involuntary manslaughter and was sentenced to two to four years in prison.
She claimed at her court hearing that she had no one to help her care for the children, and that she had no choice but to leave the boys overnight. But Christopher Williams of Penn Hills disputed that and said he helped care for both boys.