A Beechview man was being treated at UPMC Mercy this morning for burns he suffered inside his home Wednesday night.
Pittsburgh police and medics were called to the 59-year-old man's home in the 2300 block of Vodeli Street about 9:15 p.m. Wednesday after the man's daughter and her boyfriend found him lying unconscious in a hallway with burns covering 80 percent of his body, police said.
Major crimes unit Lt. Kevin Kraus said this morning police suspect the man was smoking and accidentally caught his pajamas on fire. It was not clear how long the man was lying on the floor before his daughter found him, the lieutenant said.
The fire was extinguished by the time first-responders arrived.
Lt. Kraus said the man remained in critical condition this morning.
City arson detectives are leading the investigation.neigh_city
Liz Navratil: firstname.lastname@example.org, 412-263-1438 and on Twitter: @LizNavratil.