• SUBSCRIBE
  • LOG IN
  • LOG OUT
  • REGISTER
  • MY PROFILE
  • Obituaries
  • Events
  • Jobs
  • Real Estate
  • Cars
  • Classified
  • PG Store
Post-Gazette.com
July 8, 2016 6:42 AM

7-day Forecast
  • Home
  • News
  • Local
  • Sports
  • Opinion
  • A & E
  • Life
  • Business
  • Video
  • Photo
Advertisement

Steubenville schools chief quits in deal to drop case tied to rape

Charges stemmed from 2012 rape case involving two football players

January 12, 2015 11:31 PM
  • 20131213apLocSteubenville
    20131213apLocSteubenville Jury selection was set to begin this morning in the trial for Michael McVey, 51, of Steubenville.
    Michael D. McElwain/Steubenville Herald-Star

    Jury selection was set to begin this morning in the trial for Michael McVey, 51, of Steubenville.
By Molly Born / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steubenville, Ohio, schools superintendent resigned Monday as part of a deal to dismiss all charges against him for allegedly deleting evidence and misleading authorities investigating the 2012 rape of a teenage girl by two football players.

Michael McVey, 51, of Steubenville had been charged with tampering with evidence, obstructing justice and related crimes. Prosecutors said he erased emails and hard drives — or had someone wipe them — and lied about the school’s review of the incident, created emails with bogus information and directed others to create records after the fact. He also concealed information about a party that occurred four months before the rape, rumored to have involved teen drinking and sex, according to court documents.

The deal was announced before a trial scheduled to begin Monday for Mr. McVey. As part of the agreement, he is ineligible to work for Steubenville schools again.

“I am satisfied that he has been held accountable for his actions with this agreement and consider this a just result,” Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said in a news release.

Mr. McVey, hired by the school district in 1997 as an assistant principal and superintendent since 2008, had been on paid leave since his November 2013 indictment by a special grand jury. Neither he nor his attorney, Charles Bean, could not be reached.

Attorney general’s office spokesman Dan Tierney said the school district must formally accept the resignation before the charges are officially dropped. A representative with the district could not be reached.

As part of the agreement, Mr. McVey also is barred from working for the Steubenville City Schools. John Charlton, Ohio Department of Education spokesman, said he couldn’t discuss specific cases, but noted that if an educator is “fired or resigns under pressure,” the district must refer the case to the department’s Office of Professional Conduct.

That office can investigate a referral and take disciplinary action, ranging from a letter of admonishment to revoking a license.

The two Steubenville High School football players, Trent Mays and Ma’Lik Richmond, both now 18, were found responsible in juvenile court for the rape in March 2013. Both served time in state juvenile detention and have since been released.

William Rhinaman, the Steubenville schools’ former technology director, is awaiting trial on charges including tampering with evidence and obstructing justice.


Related Media:

  • bullet

    With Steubenville case as basis, CMU play aims to examine 'rape culture'

  • bullet

    Former Steubenville coach sent to jail on probation violation

  • bullet

    Judge reduces sex offender status for Steubenville teenager involved in rape

  • bullet

    Steubenville schools chief goes on trial in rape case

  • Molly Born: mborn@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1944. First Published January 12, 2015 11:47 AM

    Sign up for free newsletters and get more of the Post-Gazette delivered to your inbox

    Most Read


    Most Emailed


    Advertisement

    Most Commented









    Advertisement

    Create a free PG account.
    Already have an account?
    Subscribe to the PG
    Subscribe
    Customize your free Newsletter Preferences
    Email Preferences
    Advertisement
    Advertisement
    PG Products

    Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

    • HOME
    • NEWS
    • LOCAL
    • SPORTS
    • OPINION
    • A & E
    • LIFE
    • BUSINESS
    • VIDEO
    • PHOTO
    • CLASSIFIEDS
    • JOBS
    • CIRCULARS
    • CARS
    • REAL ESTATE
    • PG STORE
    • WEDDINGS
    • Email Newsletters
    • Contact Us
    • Site Map
    • Media Kit
    • About Us
    • RSS Feeds RSS Feeds
    • Corrections
    • Technical Help?
    • Products & Services
    • Terms of Use
    • Privacy Policy
    • PG Sites:

    • Sports Blogs
    • PowerSource
    • Staff Blogs
    • Community Voices
    • Early Returns
    • Sportstown
    • Pittsburgh Mom
    • The Digs
    • Special Projects
    • Plate
    • Pets
    • Social Media:

    • Twitter:
    •   News
    •   Customer Care
    • Facebook
    • Pinterest
    • Google+
    • Feedback
    • Print:

    • Back Copies
    • Become a carrier
    • FAQ
    • Home Delivery
    • Newsstand
    • Rates
    •  
    • Electronic:

    • PGe

    Copyright
    ©
    1997—2016 PG Publishing Co., Inc. All Rights Reserved.