In addition to the rehabilitation of the Ambridge-Aliquippa Bridge and construction of the new Veterans Bridge, it will be a busy year for highway improvements in Beaver County.
The state Department of Transportation has announced its schedule of road improvements, which will amounts to an estimated $46.5 million for 29 projects to improve, preserve or rehabilitate key roads and six bridges.
And that does not include $4.4 million to pave or resurface 33 miles of roads and repairs to five landslides.
Here's a preview of the major improvements scheduled for 2012 in Beaver County:
• Beaver Valley Expressway (Interstate 376), Brighton, Hopewell and Chippewa -- Bridge Preservation: Minor work remaining on this $10.5 million project started in 2011 to preserve and improve seven bridges on I-376 between Gringo Clinton Road (Route 3011) and Achortown Road (Route 4010) in Brighton, Hopewell and Chippewa townships will conclude this spring. Lane closures will occur.
• Bocktown Road (Route 151), Independence -- A project estimated at nearly $2 million will resurface Route 151 between Plunkett and Stone Quarry roads. Lane closures will occur through late fall.
• Constitution Boulevard (Route 51), Darlington -- Work on an estimated $5-6 million project to overlay 8.4 miles of pavement between the Ohio border and Channelton Road will begin in early summer. Lane closures will occur through late fall.
• Hartzell Road, Marion -- Work will begin this summer on a $2.4 million project to replace the bridge over Connoquenessing Creek. Traffic will be detoured. Overall work will conclude this fall.
• New Galilee Road (Route 168), Darlington Township -- A $1.1 million project to replace the bridge over the North Fork of Little Beaver Creek will continue until the end of the year. Traffic is being detoured.
• New York Avenue, Rochester Borough -- A $7.6 million project to rehabilitate and widen a bridge that carries New York Avenue over Harrison Street and railroad tracks south of the intersection with Route 51/Pleasant Street is under way. Traffic is reduced to an alternating single lane through September 2014.
• Pennsylvania Avenue (Route 51), Monaca -- Work will conclude before summer on a $9.5 million project to replace the bridge that carries Route 51 over railroad tracks about one mile south of the Ohio River. Minor restrictions may occur.
• Route 68, Rochester Township -- Work on a $600,000 project to replace the bridge that carries Route 68 over McKinley's Run in Rochester Township will begin this spring. Traffic will be detoured through fall.
• Route 151, Independence -- A $1.2 million project to replace the Bocktown Road bridge that carries Route 151 over Reardon Run will begin in late spring. Lane closures will occur through late this year.
• Route 68, Rochester borough and township -- A $2.4 million project to reconstruct and rehabilitate 1.7 miles between Deer Lane Extension and Virginia Avenue will force lane closures. Work will conclude this fall.
• Route 989, New Sewickley -- Work has started on a $1.2 million project to replace the bridge that carries Dunlap Hill Road over Crows Run. Traffic is being detoured through the fall.
• Wildwood Road, Patterson -- A $1.3 million project will begin in early summer to replace the bridge over Brady's Run. The work will continue through the fall. Traffic will be detoured during construction.Transportation - neigh_west
First Published April 12, 2012 5:45 AM