Areawide -- The program Open Your Heart to a Senior -- which helps senior citizens live safely and independently in their own homes -- needs volunteers to provide clients with transportation to medical appointments and grocery shopping, telephone reassurance calls, home visits, yardwork or Meals on Wheels delivery. Upcoming volunteer information sessions will be held:
• Tuesday, 10:30 a.m., UPMC Lighthouse Pointe, 500 Chapel Harbor Drive, Fox Chapel
• May 11, 1 p.m., Family Services of Western PA, 6401 Penn Ave., 2nd Floor, East Liberty
• May 22, 3 p.m., NHCO AGH Suburban, 2nd Floor, 100 S. Jackson Ave., Bellevue
• June 4, 6 p.m., UPMC Lighthouse Pointe
• June 20, 6 p.m., North Hills Community Outreach, 1975 Ferguson Road, Hampton
To register, visit www.openyourhearttoasenior.org, call 211 or 412-307-0071 or email@example.com.
McCandless -- Northland Public Library, 300 Cumberland Road, will hold the following programs:
• Skin cancer and sun sense, 7 p.m. next Thursday. Alan Solter, a recently retired dermatologist, will discuss various forms of skin cancer, the latest treatment options and the myths and truths about sunscreen. Registration required, call 412-366-8100 or visit www.northlandlibrary.org.
• Appealing property assessments, 7 p.m. next Thursday. Lawyer Kenneth Behrend, a former member of the Board of Assessment and Appeals in Allegheny County, will discuss strategies for obtaining a fair assessment for property. His Property Assessment Handbook will be available for those who attend. The seminar is free, but registration is required; 412-366-8100, ext. 113, or www.northlandlibrary.org.
• Working With Digital Pictures. Learn how to download, upload, edit and organize photos on a Windows 7 computer in this free two-part computer center class from 7 to 8:30 p.m. May 13 and May 30. Registration is required by calling the computer center at 412-366-8100, ext. 131. The list of free computer classes for adults offered by Northland Public Library continues to grow each month. For a complete schedule, visit www.northlandlibrary.org.
Connoquenessing Township -- WBUT 1050-AM will present The Butler County Pet Expo from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday at the Butler Farm Show grounds. There will be vendors with pet products and services. Pets are welcome to attend with their owners and can show off their talents a Silly Pet Trick contest. There also will be a Celebrity or Owner Pet look-alike contest, and Scout Troop 29 will be offering a rabies clinic from 10 a.m. to 1 p. m. for $9 per pet. Other events include demonstrations by the Butler City K-9 Unit, a canine aided search and rescue team, and a horse riding demo by Horselovers Guide. Proceeds benefits the Butler County Humane Society. Admission is $2 per person, or $1 with a donation of a pet care item for the Humane Society, who will be on hand with pets available for adoption.
McCandless -- North Hills Community Baptist Church will hold a rummage sale from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday on the lower level at Thompson Run and McIntyre roads. The sale will close at 11:30 to prepare for a bag sale from noon to 1 p.m.
Franklin Park -- Unitarian Universalist Church of the North Hills will hold a rummage sale from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. next Thursday and May 10 and from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. May 11. Cash only. A $1 per bag sale will be held May 11. The church is at 2359 W. Ingomar Road between Brandt School and Rochester roads.
Sharpsburg -- Volunteers of America of Pennsylvania, 1650 Main St., will hold a free Brown Bag Lunch from noon to 1 p.m. Wednesday. The speaker, Katherine Heart, M.Ed., Heart Resources LLC, will address what funds may be available for entrepreneurs with or without disabilities to start up and fund their business. RSVP: 412-782-5344, ext. 209, or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hampton -- A Second Saturday Divorce Workshop for Women will being held from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. May 11 at Hampton Fields Village, 4480 Mount Royal Blvd. Legal, financial, psychological, tax and parenting issues will be discussed. Cost is $35 per person, and registration is required. Registration: 724-493-9695.neigh_north
To include your activity in the NorthScape, send description of activity, time(s), date(s), location, cost and registration details, plus a contact person's name and daytime telephone number to PG North, 34 Blvd. of the Allies, Pittsburgh 15222; or email to email@example.com. Information must be received two to three weeks before publication.