Authorities reaching ‘conclusion’ in Wilkinsburg shooting investigation
April 21, 2016 12:23 AMAllegheny County District Attorney Stephen A. Zappala Jr. wouldn’t go as far as to say that the shooters who killed five people and an unborn baby in Wilkinsburg were in jail, but he had a message for neighbors.
“We believe that the community is safe right now, and we’re getting close to coming to a conclusion in the investigation,” he said.
He would not say when an arrest may happen: “We’ll charge when it’s appropriate to charge,” in the case that has “death penalty implications.”
“You don’t have to worry about these guys being out on the streets and hurting you,” the district attorney said.
Mr. Zappala declined comment when asked whether that meant the shooters were already in jail.
Authorities have questioned at least four people in the slayings: Cheron Shelton, 29, of Linclon-Lemington, Robert J. Thomas, 27, of Homewood, Justin Gomez, 27, of Rankin and Ashley Smith, 30, of Homewood.
Thomas has been named a suspect – but has not been charged – in the attack.
On April 5, the four were charged as co-defendants in an unrelated crime from February 2013 after police found them in possession of a large cache of weapons.
Thomas and Shelton remain lodged in the Allegheny County Jail. Mr. Gomez and Ms. Smith were released on bail earlier this month.
Killed in the March 9 shooting at a backyard cookout in the 1300 block of Franklin Avenue were siblings Jerry Michael Shelton, 35, Brittany Powell, 27, and Chanetta Powell, 25, their cousin Tina Shelton, 37, and Shada Mahone, 26. Chanetta Powell was eight months pregnant.
First Published April 20, 2016 8:43 PM



