Grill scorches Penn Hills porch

Share with others:


Print Email Read Later

A Penn Hills home caught fire on Sunday due to improper use of a cooking grill on a front porch, fire officials said.

The house, in the 7200 block of Lawton Street, caught fire just before noon, when flames from the grill ignited the porch roof.

“The grill was on the front porch, and the porch roof was rather low,” said Shawn Snyder, a fire chief with Penn Hills volunteer fire company.

Mr. Snyder said that the resident attempted to cook with charcoal briquettes in a propane grill.

Penn Hills volunteer fire fighters from four different stations responded to the fire. Firefighters from Edgewood who specialize in rescue operations also showed up.

Mr. Snyder said that the fire spread into the first floor of the home, but firefighters put it out before it did much damage.

“Everybody was on point, and everybody did their job,” said Mr. Snyder, who estimated that the family should be able to move back into the house within a week.

Nobody was injured. The residents — two adults and one child — are being helped by the Red Cross.


Brett Sholtis: bsholtis@post-gazette.com or 412-263-1581.

Join the conversation:

Commenting policy | How to report abuse
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to socialmedia@post-gazette.com and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner. Thank you.
Commenting policy | How to report abuse

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

You have 2 remaining free articles this month

Try unlimited digital access

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here

You’ve reached the limit of free articles this month.

To continue unlimited reading

If you are an existing subscriber,
link your account for free access. Start here