There was no word this week on what happens to former city Public Safety Director Mike Huss once his replacement, Stephen A. Bucar, is approved by City Council in what is expected to be an unanimous vote Tuesday.
Mr. Huss, a former fire chief in Pittsburgh and Johnstown who has served as public safety director since 2007, applied to keep his current job when Mayor Bill Peduto took office in January but lost out to Mr. Bucar, a former FBI special agent and Pennsylvania state trooper.
Mr. Huss, 46, was also a finalist for the fire commissioner’s job in Boston, where the mayor instead picked a long-serving Boston Fire Department official earlier this month, The Boston Globe reported.
City Councilman Daniel Lavelle, chairman of the council's public safety committee, said working with Mr. Huss -- whose tenure included the federal investigation of the police department that landed former Chief Nate Harper in prison -- has been a pleasure, and he saw the possibility of a continued role for him in city government.
"He could be an added asset to the city wherever he might end up," he said.
Mr. Huss said he was not ready to discuss his future with the city or a potential search for a new job.
According to Tim McNulty, a spokesman for Mr. Peduto, Mr. Huss continues to draw a $105,000-a-year salary from the city. Mr. Bucar makes $125,000.
“He is advising on the transition and has no formal job title,” Mr. McNulty said. “The mayor sees Mike as a valuable asset and is open to him staying with the city, and there is no timetable for a decision on that status.”
Robert Zullo: email@example.com or 412-263-3909. Twitter: @rczullo.