Who to contact with complaints about potholes

Share with others:

Print Email Read Later

Pennsylvania, Allegheny County and the city of Pittsburgh maintain phone hotlines and/or websites for reporting potholes.

For state roads, the number to call is 1-800-FIX-ROAD (1-800-349-7623). Callers are connected to the maintenance office for their county, and the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation promises prompt action and a follow-up if the caller leaves a phone number.

Potholes also can be reported online by visiting the appropriate PennDOT district website and clicking on the Customer Care Center icon in the top right corner of the home page. District 11 comprises Allegheny, Beaver and Lawrence counties; District 10 is Armstrong, Butler, Clarion, Indiana and Jefferson counties; District 12 is Fayette, Greene, Washington and Westmoreland.

Conditions that pose an immediate safety risk should be reported by phone rather than online. The department asks all reporters to be as specific as possible about the locations of potholes.

Potholes on Allegheny County-maintained roads can be reported to the Public Works Department call center, 412-350-2513.

In the city of Pittsburgh, problems can be reported to the mayor's 311 hotline or online at pittsburghpa.gov/311/form. Calls to 311 are answered by live operators from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Mondays through Fridays. Nonresidents who want to call from outside the city limits to report a pothole can call 412-255-2621.

Not sure who owns the road? PennDOT forwards all information it receives about conditions on nonstate roads to the appropriate jurisdiction.


Create a free PG account.
Already have an account?