Caribbean Burgers with Mango Salsa
Food Network star and best-selling cookbook author Rachael Ray sets her sights on burgers in her latest cookbook. The flexitarians among us will be happy to know it's not just an ode to ground red meat (although her double-decker Big Spicy Mac burger, pictured on the cover, looks absolutely delish).
These jerk-spiced burgers, made with chicken or turkey, bring a sunny taste of the islands to your picnic table. Add more or less diced jalapeno, depending on how hot you like your salsa.
- 2 pounds ground turkey or chicken breast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves or ground thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon each cinnamon, freshly grated nutmeg and cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro or basil
- Salt and black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/4 small red onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno chile, seeded and finely chopped
- 1/4 seedless cucumber, peeled and diced
- Juice of 1 lime
- 6 cornmeal kaiser rolls, split and toasted
- Bibb lettuce leaves
Make the burgers: Place ground meat in a large bowl. Combine spices and brown sugar in a small bowl. Sprinkle evenly over the meat. Add the basil or cilantro and lots of salt and pepper and mix thoroughly. Score mixture into 6 equal portions and form them into large patties slightly thinner at the center than at the edges for even cooking and to ensure a flat surface (burgers plump as they cook).
Heat olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add burgers and cook, flipping once, 10 to 12 minutes, or until juices run clear.
While burgers are cooking, make the mango salsa: In a small bowl, combine mango, bell pepper, onion, jalapeno, cucumber and lime juice. Season with salt to taste.
Place burgers on roll bottoms and top with bibb lettuce and lots of salsa. Set roll tops in place. Enjoy!
Makes 6 burgers.
-- Adapted from "The Book of Burger" by Rachael Ray (Atria, June 5, 2012, $24.99)
Rachael Ray will sign copies of "The Book of Burger" at 6 p.m. Friday at the Settlers Ridge Barnes & Noble, 800 Settlers Ridge Center Drive, Robinson. The store will begin handing out line passes at 9 a.m., but you must purchase a copy of the book to receive one. More information: 412-809-8300.recipes - whatsfordinner
Find a new archive of What's for Dinner recipes at post-gazette.com/more/life/whats4dinner First Published June 6, 2012 4:00 AM