Spotted on the runway: 5 fashion must-haves for spring 2017
March 2, 2017 12:00 AM
At New York Fashion Week, designers previewed whimsical prints, uplifting palettes, fun accessories and D-I-Y beauty tricks for spring.
By Sara Bauknecht / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
NEW YORK -- It's time to shake off the winter blues and wake up your wardrobe for the warm weather ahead.
At New York Fashion Week last year, designers previewed whimsical prints, uplifting palettes, fun accessories and DIY beauty tricks for spring. Here's how to embrace the season's top trends with five fashion essentials:
Alice + Olivia by Stacey Bendet (Neilson Barnard/Getty Images)
1. FRESH AND MOD(ERN): You can't go wrong with neutrals. Black and white are one of spring's most popular pairs. From charming polka dots to edgy abstract prints, this classic combo is chic and crisp for any occasion.
Statement eyewear featured in the Celine spring/summer 2017 ready-to-wear runway show. (Patrick Kovarik/AFP/Getty Images)
2. MAKE A STATEMENT: These aren't your ordinary sunglasses. Shield the sun in style with oversized frames in eye-popping colors or dressed up with embellishments. (You may want to wear these sunnies rain or shine!)
Proenza Schouler (JP Yim/Getty Images)
3. SEEING STRIPES: Fill your closet with lines that flatter. Thick and thin bands of color intersect this season to add visual interest to all sorts of ensembles.
Michael Kors (JP Yim/Getty Images)
4. FLOWER POWER: Welcome the season with apparel bursting with colorful blooms. Brighten up an outfit with blossoms from head to toe, or use them to accent spring's shades (grassy greens, powder blues, rosy pinks, buttercup yellows, etc.) or complement other prints.
A model shows off her manicure for the Jeremy Scott runway show. (Astrid Stawiarz/Getty Images)
5. NAILED IT: Transform manicures into masterpieces with intricate nail art. On the runway, looks ranged from elegant to eccentric, including sparkles, stripes and even fur details. Rather keep it simple? Try free-hand designs on nude nails.
To report inappropriate comments, abuse and/or repeat offenders, please send an email to
firstname.lastname@example.org and include a link to the article and a copy of the comment. Your report will be reviewed in a timely manner.