With her team eyeing a third PIAA title in a row, Peters Township's Veronica Latsko began the playoffs by reaching a personal milestone.
Latsko scored the 100th of goal of her career to lead Peters Township to a 3-2 win Tuesday against Bethel Park in a Class AAA first-round game at Chartiers Valley.
Latsko, a junior and one of the top players in the state, has scored 35 goals this season.
Olivia Roberson and Emily Franty also scored for Peters Township (21-1), which won the WPIAL championship Saturday.
A.J. Baroffio and Halle Hammer scored for Bethel Park (20-3). It was Hammer's 25th goal this season.
• Seneca Valley 2, State College 0: At Central Mountain, Alex Bilka and Morgan Williams scored to help the Raiders (20-2) rebound from a loss in the WPIAL championship by beating State College.
• Mars 5, Clearfield 0: At North Allegheny, Sabrina Edwards scored a hat trick to vault the WPIAL champion Planets (20-1-1) to the win against Clearfield.
• Moon 3, Forest Hills 0: WPIAL runner-up Moon (21-2) got three goals in the final 20 minutes of the first half -- including a penalty kick by Christine Barthen -- to defeat Forest Hills at Hollidaysburg.
• Mercyhurst Prep 2, Belle Vernon 1: Hayden Pascoe scored with more than two minutes left, but it was too little, too late for the Leopards (18-4-1) against Mercyhurst Prep at Fairview.
• Greensburg Central Catholic 7, Karns City 2: Frannie Crouse's four goals allowed the WPIAL champion Centurions (20-1) to roll to the win against Karns City at Hampton.
• Sewickley Academy 1, Conemaugh Township 0: Melina George scored the only goal with 10 minutes left to give the WPIAL runner-up Panthers (21-1-1) the win against Conemaugh Township at Somerset.
• Shady Side Academy 3, Fairview 0: Maggie Scott scored twice to lead the Indians (16-5-1) to the victory against Fairview at Erie Veterans' Stadium.
• Canon-McMillan 2, Peters Township 0: WPIAL champion Canon-McMillan (19-4) got goals from Ivan Viveros and Corey McCurdy to eliminate the Indians (15-3-2) at Chartiers Valley.
• Upper St. Clair 6, Erie McDowell 0: Goalkeeper Joe Conlon notched his 14th shutout in helping the WPIAL runner-up Panthers (19-2-1) defeat Erie McDowell at Erie Veterans' Stadium.
• Quaker Valley 1, General McLane 0: WPIAL champion Quaker Valley outlasted General McLane in two overtimes at North Allegheny.
• Sewickley Academy 2, Mercer 1: J.P. Bowell's goal seven seconds before halftime helped the Panthers (19-1-1) edge Mercer at Franklin.
• Greensburg Central Catholic 2, Bishop McCort 1: At Richland, defender Ben Brandon scored with 2:30 left in the game to lift the WPIAL runner-up Centurions to the win.hssoccer
First Published November 7, 2012 5:30 AM