A three-win team a year ago, the South Fayette boys soccer team is headed to the WPIAL Class AA semifinals.
And the only thing more surprising than South Fayette going from 3-12-1 last season to the WPIAL semifinals this season is the team it beat to get there.
The No. 9-seeded Lions (14-4-1) stunned top-ranked and previously unbeaten South Park (19-1), 1-0, in a penalty shootout Thursday night at Chartiers Valley.
After 100 minutes, South Fayette backup goalie Andrew Pine entered the game for the shootout to make two saves as Lions won the shootout, 4-2.
• Belle Vernon 1, West Allegheny 0: Jesse Kallam scored with 12 minutes remaining to help No. 11 Belle Vernon (14-3) surprise No. 3 West Allegheny (15-3) at Peters Township.
• Mars 2, Indiana 0: Spencer Posey scored twice and the Mars defense in front of goalie Joe Kelly notched its 12th shutout this season as the No. 2-seeded Planets (17-2-1) raced past No. 7 Indiana 13-5-1) at Hampton.
• Quaker Valley 2, Hopewell 1: Adam Richert scored two minutes into overtime to carry No. 4 Quaker Valley (16-3-1) to win against No. 5 Hopewell (14-4) at Moon.
• Peters Township 2, Seneca Valley 1: Justin Magnotti scored five minutes into overtime to lift the top-ranked Indians (14-1-2) to a victory against visiting Seneca Valley (14-5-1), the No. 8 seed.
• Pine-Richland 2, Kiski 1: Grant Goldberg made two saves in a penalty-kick shootout and then notched the winning penalty kick as the No. 3-seeded Rams (18-1) won, 4-1, in penalty kicks to eliminate No. 6 Kiski (15-2-2) at Penn Hills.
• Canon-McMillan 1, Franklin Regional 0: Eddie Hartman's goal in the 78th minute helped No. 13 Canon-McMillan (16-4) grab a victory against No. 12 Franklin Regional (13-4-2) at North Allegheny.
• Upper St. Clair 1, Fox Chapel 0: Wes Burdette's goal from 25 yards out was the difference in No. 2 Upper St. Clair's (17-1-1) shutout win against No. 10 Fox Chapel (13-4-1) at Chartiers Valley.
• Greensburg Central Catholic 3, Bishop Canevin 0: Adam Tucker's hat trick led the No. 4 Centurions (14-4-1) to a win against No. 5 Bishop Canevin (14-4-2) at Hampton.
• Sewickley Academy 4, Carlyton 0: Four different players scored for the top-seeded Panthers (17-0-1) in a shutout win against No. 9 Carlynton (13-4-2) at Moon.
• Riverside 1, Springdale 0: Anthony Meneice scored the winner with 9:54 left to help No. 10 Riverside (14-4-1) upset No. 2 Springdale (14-4) at North Allegheny.
• Serra 2, Winchester Thurston 1: Tyler Grebur scored with 48 seconds left to break a 1-1 tie and send No. 3 Serra (15-2-1) to the WPIAL semifinals for the first time with a victory against No. 11 Winchester Thurston (12-7) at Penn Hills.hssoccer
First Published October 26, 2012 4:00 AM