Big inning lifts North Catholic to win vs. Riverview
April 30, 2013 4:00 AM
Mt. Lebanon's Jack McMahon and Seneca Valley's Cole Fyock fight for the ball Monday night in a lacrosse game. Mt. Lebanon won, 8-5.
From local dispatches
The Riverview baseball team had not lost a section game this season.
North Catholic changed that with the help of one big inning Monday.
Devon Howard's two-run triple keyed an eight-run second inning that propelled North Catholic to a 9-5 win at Class A No. 2 Riverview.
North Catholic's win moved the Trojans (6-4, 6-1) ahead of Riverview (10-2, 5-1) in Section 4.
Eric Smith added a two-run double for North Catholic, which has won five games in a row.
Other top baseball games
• Ryan Dodson and Dakota Forsyth had three RBIs apiece for Class AAAA No. 1 Bethel Park (14-2, 6-2), which avenged an earlier loss by defeating visiting Peters Township (10-5, 4-4), 12-2, in six innings in Section 5.
• Winning pitcher Randy Dobnak improved to 5-0 and Class AAA No. 1 South Park (17-0, 10-0) remained unbeaten after a 5-3 home victory against Elizabeth Forward (11-5, 5-4) in Section 4.
• Marcus Malara's bases-loaded single capped a four-run seventh and gave host Mount Pleasant (7-8, 4-5) an 8-7 win against Indiana (11-3, 7-2) in Class AAA Section 2.
Baseball top performer
• Dom Francia hit a two-run home run in seventh to give host Belle Vernon (10-6, 6-4) an 8-6 win against Thomas Jefferson (9-7, 5-4) in Class AAA Section 4.
Top softball games
• Class AAAA No. 5 Hempfield (13-3) earned its eighth consecutive win with a 5-2 non-section triumph against visiting No. 3 Shaler (10-4). Hope Pehrson was the winning pitcher and had two RBIs.
• Regina Menhart had two hits and two RBIs to help Class A No. 2 Carmichaels (16-2) bounce back from a loss with a 12-2 non-section win in five innings against visiting Charleroi (4-8).
Softball top performer
• Savannah Henry threw a no-hitter with eight strikeouts and had two RBIs to lead host Sewickley Academy (7-5, 7-4) to a 10-0 six-inning win against Northgate (0-16, 0-12) in Class A Section 1.
WPIAL tennis doubles
• Defending champions Alok Nimgaonkar and Chris Grubbs of Shady Side Academy advanced to today's Class AAA championship. In Class AA, Sewickley Academy's top-seeded duo of Will Kleeman and Colin Kaye also moved on to the championship. Both championship matches, along with the consolation finals, will be at North Allegheny.