• Blind & Vision Rehabilitation Services of Pittsburgh is holding a White Cane Safety Rally from 11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Tuesday in Market Square, Downtown, in recognition of White Cane Safety Day. Staff will distribute information and demonstrate white cane safety, and vision technicians will provide adult vision screening. Live music is being provided by Jimmy Sapienza and Five Guys Named Moe, which includes three alumni of the Western Pennsylvania School for Blind Children. Call 412-368-4400.
• The Woodlands Foundation, 134 Shenot Road, Marshall, is holding a Fall Festival, including live music, face painting, storytelling and more, from 4 to 8 p.m. Saturday. Call 724-935-5470.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources, in cooperation with Women Infants and Children and Community Action Southwest, is sponsoring a Family Health Fair from 12:30 to 3:30 p.m. Friday in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. Information booths on health, safety, nutrition, child development and parenting will be available, as well as children's games and activities and raffles/drawings for prizes. Advance registration is required. Call 724-258-1333.
• The Cancer Caring Center is sponsoring a Wig Out!, including a wig and costume contest, at 7 p.m. Friday at the Buckhead Saloon, Station Square. The cost is $10, $15 at the door. Proceeds benefit its Young Adult Cancer Support. Call 412-621-1212.
• Forbes Hospital, in conjunction with local EMS providers, is offering flu shots to everyone 18 years and older while supplies last at the following EMS stations. Call 412-858-3189.
-- Sewickley Township, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Tuesday, Sewickley Township EMS, 2 Medic St.
-- Penn Township, Westmoreland County, 1 to 6 p.m. Wednesday, Penn Township EMS, 1030 Sandy Hill Road.
-- Swissvale, 6 to 9 p.m. Wednesday, Swissvale Fire Department, 7400 Irvine St.
-- Trafford, 4 to 8 p.m. Thursday, Trafford EMS, 109 Brinton Ave.
-- Monroeville, noon to 8 p.m. Oct. 22, No. 6 EMS, 600 Garden City Drive.
-- Plum, 2 to 4 and 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. 23, Council Chambers, 4575 New Texas Road.
-- Penn Hills, 6 to 9 p.m. Oct. 30, Municipal Building, 12245 Frankstown Road.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is offering flu and pneumonia vaccinations at the following times, dates and locations. Cost: $25 for flu vaccine and $75 for pneumonia vaccine, payable by Medicare Part B and most Medicare HMOs. Call 412-330-4469, ext. 4.
-- 9 to 11:15 a.m. next Monday and 1 p.m. to 3:45 p.m. Oct. 25 and 29, hospital campus, Harrison.
-- 9 to 11 a.m. Oct. 22, AVH Outpatient Care Center 651 Fourth Ave., New Kensington.
• Passavant Hospital Foundation is sponsoring the following programs.
-- "Shoulder Pain: Ouch, Why Does My Shoulder Hurt?" 6:30 to 8:30 p.m. Tuesday, North Campus, Community College of Allegheny County, 8701 Perry Highway, McCandless. Presenter: Dr. Christopher Emond of Tri-State Orthopaedics & Sports Medicine. Call 412-369-3701.
-- "Sleep Disorders and the Importance of Getting a Good Night's Rest," 12:30 p.m. Wednesday, senior center, Cranberry Township Municipal Building, 2525 Rochester Road. Presenter: Todd Palmer, lead sleep technologist, sleep lab, UPMC Passavant. Call 412-367-6640.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring a Highmark BCBS Medicare Solutions Seminar at 11 a.m. Saturday at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Space is limited to 30. Register at 1-800-978-0231.
• The Southwestern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross is sponsoring the following safety classes on Thursday at its Butler County office, 312 N. Mercer St., Butler unless otherwise indicated. Call 1-888-733-2767.
-- Adult CPR/AED, 6 to 7:30 p.m. Cost: $70. Also has online classroom segments.
-- Adult and pediatric first aid/CPR/AED, 6 to 8:30 p.m. Cost: $110. Also has online classroom segments.
-- CPR/AED for professional rescuers and health care providers 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Downtown headquarters, 225 Blvd. of the Allies. Cost: $110.
• Monroeville Recreation & Parks is sponsoring the following six-week classes. Call 412-856-1006.
-- "Fat Burning Xtreme Toning," 5:30 to 6:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning Oct. 22, Monroeville Sports Center, 855 MacBeth Drive. Cost: $93.
-- Pilates, 9:30 to 10:25 a.m. Wednesdays beginning Oct. 23, Loughner Massage & Yoga, 2545 Mosside Blvd.
• South Fayette Township is sponsoring an adult yoga class from 7 to 8 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays beginning this week at South Fayette Middle School, 3700 Old Oakdale Road. Yoga mats are required. Call 412-319-7441.
• The Pennsylvania Academy of Family Physicians is taking nominations for its Family Physician of the Year. To nominate a doctor, visit www.pafp.com/TopDoc. Information: 1-717-564-5365.
--Compiled by Rick Nowlinhealth
First Published October 13, 2013 8:00 PM