• The Western Pennsylvania Chapter of the ALS Association is hosting a symposium "Living With ALS: Emerging Technology" from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 19 at the Regional Learning Alliance, 850 Cranberry Woods Drive, Cranberry. Lunch is being provided, and all participants are eligible to win a hockey stick by autographed from Pittsburgh Penguin Craig Adams. Space is limited to 40. Call 412-821-3254.
• "Hats on the Catwalk," a celebration of breast cancer survivorship, is taking place at 5 p.m. Oct. 15 in the Magovern Conference Center of Allegheny General Hospital, North Side. A keynote speaker is discussing issues of survivorship at 7 p.m. with some of Allegheny Health Network's cancer physicians modeling hats at 7:30 p.m. WTAE-TV's Sally Wiggin is serving as mistress of ceremonies A ticket auction, educational tables, hors d'oeuvres and cocktails are also slated. For more information, call 412-359-8177.
• VA Butler Healthcare, 325 New Castle Road, Butler Township, is offering flu clinics for veterans from 4:30 to 6 p.m. Wednesday and 8 a.m. to noon Saturday at its Primary Care Clinic. Call 724-285-2223.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring the following flu clinics for those 18 and older on Oct. 15 at Pittsburgh Mills Mall, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. The cost is $25, with verification required for insurance coverage for ages 65 and older. Registration is required. Call 724-274-5202.
- 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., food court.
- 3 to 5 p.m., Destination Wellness health resource center.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is offering flu shots Healthy Directions from 8:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m. every Monday through Saturday and 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. every Sunday. Costs are payable by insurance. For more information, call 724-348-6699.
• To find a blood drive near you call:
- The Central Blood Bank, 412-209-7000 or 1-800-310-9551.
- The American Red Cross, 1-800-733-2767. For bloodmobile locations, check www.redcrossblood.org/greateralleghenies.
• UPMC St. Margaret is sponsoring an educational presentation on treatment options for lumbar stenosis 6 to 7:30 p.m Oct. 15 at Oakmont Carnegie Library, 700 Allegheny River Blvd., as part of its "Alive & Well" Series. Reservations are required. Call 1-866-939-7787.
• The Southwestern Red Cross is sponsoring the following safety classes. Call 1-888-733-2767.
- Adult CPR/AED, 6 to 7:30 p.m. Wednesday or 8 to 11 a.m. Sunday, Downtown headquarters, 225 Blvd. of the Allies; 9 a.m. to noon Thursday or Sunday, Armstrong County office, Suite 4, 245 Butler Road, West Kittanning; or 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Butler County office, 312 N. Mercer St., Butler. Cost: $70. The Wednesday class is a Blended Learning Course with online and classroom segments.
- Adult first aid/CPR/AED 6 to 8 p.m. Wednesday or 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Sunday, Downtown; 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Thursday, Armstrong County; or 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Butler County. Cost: $90. The Wednesday class is a Blended Learning Course with online and classroom segments.
- Adult and pediatric first aid/CPR/AED, 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Sunday, Armstrong County. Cost: $110.
• Penn State Extension is offering a class, "Dining with Diabetes: A Program for Adults with Diabetes and their Families,"at 10 a.m. Thursdays beginning Thursday at the Donohoe Center at its Westmoreland County office, 214 Donohoe Road, Hempfield. Preregistration is required. For more information, call 724-837-1402.
• Excela Health is sponsoring "Breastfeeding Success" from 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday in the Memorial Conference Center, on the ground floor of Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring a class in basic life support for healthcare providers, including CPR, from 5 to 10 p.m. next Monday at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. The cost is $50, which includes a required student workbook. Space is limited to eight. Call to register at 724-274-5202.
• Self Help Group Network, a service of PA 2-1-1 Southwest, provides a database of support groups. Call 412-255-1155.