• Westmoreland Center for Internal Medicine is hosting a Healthy Aging event from 9-11 a.m. Saturday at its Excela Health Murrysville office, Creekside Shoppes, 4480 William Penn Highway. Features include, blood pressure screenings, balance walks, bone density testing, refreshments and a healthy eating demonstration by one of the practice physicians. Guests may win prizes including tickets to "The Lion King" at the Benedum Center and the University of Pittsburgh's football game against Notre Dame Nov. 9. Information: 724-689-0201.
• The Auxiliary of Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a $5 jewelry sale from 8 a.m.-4 p.m. Thursday and Friday in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monogahela Valley Hospital, Carroll. Call 724-258-1167.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a cholesterol screening from 8 a.m.-noon Saturday in its Healthy Directions health resource center, Finleyville Giant Eagle, 3701 Brownsville Road, Union. The cost is $10; 12-hour fast is required. Blood sugar tests are to be available for $2. Call 724-348-6699.
n Allegheny Valley Hospital is holding a blood drive from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. To register, call 724-274-5202.
• Longwood at Oakmont, 500 Coxcomb Hill Road, Plum, is hosting a panel discussion with local retirement planning experts at 2 p.m. Sept. 10. Space is limited. To register, call 1-877-214-8410.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring "Emergency Safety Tips for Children and Grandchildren" at 6 p.m. next Monday at the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll, as part of MVH's Innovations in Medicine series. Speaker is pediatrician Perveen Punjani. To register, call 724-258-1333.
• The PriorityCare program of Allegheny Valley Hospital, Harrison, is sponsoring "What Is Atrial Fibrillation: Symptoms, Causes, Tests and Treatments" at 6 p.m. next Monday in its Charles W. Young Conference Center. Speaker is physician Frederick L. Porkolab. For reservations, call 724-226-7339.
• AIM, a collaboration of Jewish Family & Children's Service and Jewish Residential Services, which provides support for families of adults with special needs, will hold "An Overview of the Affordable Care Act and How to Get Insurance through the Marketplace" from 6:30-8:30 p.m. next Monday at JF&CS's office, 5743 Bartlett St., Squirrel Hill. Presenter is Leslie Bachurski, director of consumer navigation and organizational development at the Consumer Health Coalition. Reservations required. Information: 412-422-7200.
• UPMC St. Margaret is sponsoring "Treatment Options for Hip and Knee Arthritis" from 6-7:30 p.m. Sept. 10 at the Community Library of Allegheny Valley's Harrison Library, 1522 Broadview Blvd. Reservations required. Call 1-866-939-7787.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring a 10-week Highmark Drop 10 in 10 series from 6-7 p.m. Wednesdays from Sept. 4 to Nov. 6 at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. The cost is $110; free except for a $20 toolkit fee for Highmark members. To register, call 724-274-5202.
The Woodlands Foundation, 134 Shenot Road, Marshall, is beginning its Woodlands Fun & Friends Program, which provides adults and young adults ages 19 and older with disability and chronic illness the opportunity to interact in a safe setting, from 6-8 p.m. Thursdays from Sept. 12 to Dec. 19. The cost is $285. No session Nov. 28. Call 724-935-5470.
• Excela Health is sponsoring the following classes at Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
-- Childbirth and Beyond, three weeks, 7-9:30 p.m. Wednesdays beginning Wednesday or 9 a.m.-5:30 p.m. Saturday, Memorial Conference Center, ground floor.
-- Family and Friends CPR, 6-9 p.m. Sept. 10, conference room D, first floor.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is hosting the following "Nutrition Building Blocks" classes for those with diabetes at 11 a.m. Thursdays at the Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver. Presenter is clinical dietitian Julie Sulkowski. Pre-registration required. Call 724-258-1320.
-- Calorie intake and exercise, Thursday.
-- Reading food labels and portion control, Sept. 12
-- Tips on eating in restaurants, Sept. 19.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring the following programs at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. To register, call 724-274-5202.
-- Babysitting for Grandparents, 5:30-9 p.m. Thursday. Cost: $12 per person, required textbook and participation card included.
-- Heartsaver first aid with CPR/AED, two-part course, 9 a.m.-noon and 1-4 p.m. Saturday. Cost: $35 for one, $50 for both, includes required student manual.
• The Southwestern Pennsylvania chapter of the National Alliance for Mental Illness is holding an 11-week "Family to Family" program from 6:30-9 p.m. at the following locations. Registration is required and space is limited. Call 412-366-3788.
-- Upper St. Clair, Thursdays from Thursday to Nov. 14. St. Louise de Marillac Catholic Church, 320 McMurray Road.
-- South Greensburg, Tuesdays from Sept. 10 to Dec. 3, Mental Health America of Westmoreland County, 409 Coulter Ave.
-- Ross, Tuesdays from Sept. 10 to Nov. 19, NAMI office, 105 Braunlich Drive.
-- Squirrel Hill, Mondays from Sept. 16 to Nov. 25, Children's Institute, 1405 Shady Ave.