• Chai-Lifeline, a Jewish group of professionals that assist families, communities, schools and institutions cope with an untimely death or medical crisis, is sponsoring a symposium from 7:30 to 8 p.m. Sunday in Herrmann Hall at the UPMC Cancer Center, 5150 Centre Ave., Shadyside. Speaker is former Pittsburgher Zahava Safran Farbermann, assistant to the director of Chai-Lifeline in New York City. Information: 412-421-0508.
• PittsburghCureSarcoma is holding its third annual 5K Walk/Run at 9 a.m. Saturday at North Park Boathouse. Awards will be presented to top three overall for both male and female, and top three in each of eight age groups, male and female. Also to be available are a Kids' Fun Run and activities, entertainment by local band Act 80 and complimentary food and beverages. The cost is $20 in advance, which includes an event T-shirt; $25 on race day. Registration will open at 7 a.m. Proceeds benefit the University of Pittsburgh Cancer Institute Sarcoma Research and the Sarcoma Foundation of America. Register online at www.PittsburghCureSarcoma.org. Call 724-449-4568.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring the following programs at 6 p.m. in the Anthony M. Lombardi Education Conference Center of Monongahela Valley Hospital, Carroll, unless otherwise indicated. To register, call 724-258-1333 unless otherwise indicated.
-- "Why Do You Need a Primary Care Physician?", Tuesday. Speaker: Dr. Laurie S. Molinda. Part of MVH's "Innovations in Medicine" series.
-- Talk With a Doc: Back Pain, 7 p.m. Thursday, Mt. Lebanon Public Library, 16 Castle Shannon Blvd. Speaker: Dr. Jose Ramirez-Del Toro.
-- Bariatric surgery information session, Monday. Speaker: Dr. Ramesh Ramanathan. Register: 412-641-3632 or 412-802-8299.
• Allegheny General Hospital is sponsoring "The Conspiracy That Is Making You Fat" from 1 to 2:30 p.m. Wednesday at its Suburban campus, Bellevue. Presenter is Dr. Matthew Coppola. Space is limited. Register: 412-330-4469.
• cityLAB is sponsoring "Insuring Yourself: Health Care in 2014" from 6:30 to 8 p.m. Wednesday at Assemble Gallery, 5125 Penn Ave., Garfield. Speaker is Liz Kennon of Kennon Insurance Consultants Inc. Call 412-434-7080.
• The PriorityCare program of Allegheny Valley Hospital, Harrison is presenting "Healthy Lifestyle, Healthy Brain" at 2 p.m. Monday in its Charles W. Young Conference Center. Presenter is Nancy Riggle from the Alzheimer's Association. To register, call 724-226-7339.
• The Southwestern Pennsylvania chapter of the American Red Cross is sponsoring the following classes. Call 1-888-733-2767.
-- Adult CPR/AED, 8 a.m. to 11 a.m. Tuesday or July 16, Downtown headquarters, 225 Blvd. of the Allies; or 9 a.m. to noon Saturday, Lawrence County office, 222 N. Mercer St., New Castle. Cost: $70.
-- Adult and pediatric first aid/CPR/AED, 8 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Downtown, or 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Thursday, Armstrong County office, 245 Butler Road, West Kittanning. Cost: $110.
-- Adult first aid/CPR/AED, 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, Lawrence County office; or 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. July 16, Downtown. Cost: $90.
-- Babysitter's Training, 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. Saturday, Butler County office, 312 Mercer St., Butler. Cost: $85.
• Allegheny Valley Hospital is sponsoring the following classes at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. To register, call 724-274-5202.
-- Basic life support for healthcare providers, including CPR, 5 to 10 p.m. Wednesday. Cost: $50, includes manual. Space limited to eight.
-- Highmark Osteoporosis Prevention & Education, 6 to 7:30 p.m. Thursdays from Thursday to Aug. 1. Cost $100, free for Highmark members. Space limited to 20.
-- Heartsaver First Aid with CPR/AED, two-part class, 9 a.m. to noon and 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Cost: $35 for one, $50 for both. Space limited to eight.
-- Heartsaver CPR/AED 1 to 4 p.m. Saturday. Cost: $35. Space limited to eight.
-- Safe Sitter babysitting, 1 to 5 p.m. Saturday and Sunday. Cost: $50, space limited to six.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring a Childbirth Preparation Class from 7 to 9 p.m. Wednesdays from Wednesday to July 31 at its Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver. To register, call 724-258-2229 ext. 25.
• Excela Health is offering the following classes from 7 to 9:30 p.m. except where indicated in the Memorial Conference Center, on the Ground Floor of Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
-- Childbirth & Beyond, three weeeks, for first-time parents, Wednesdays beginning Wednesday.
-- Breastfeeding Success, Thursday, Conference Room D, first floor, Westmoreland Hospital; or 9 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday, Memorial Conference Center.
-- Infant Care, 7 to 9:30 p.m. July 16 and 23.
• Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh UPMC is sponsoring the following classes on Saturday. Registration is required. Call 412-692-7105.
-- CPR: Infant, Child and Teen, 9 a.m. to noon, Children's North, Franklin Park. Cost: $30.
-- Babysitting 101, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., UPMC East, Monroeville. Cost: $35.
• Penn State Extension, in conjunction with the Master Well Owner Network, is sponsoring a drinking water clinic for those who use well water from 1 to 3 or 6 to 8 p.m. July 17 at its Westmoreland County office, Donehoe Center, 214 Donehoe Road, Hempfield. The cost is $10, and the deadline is next Monday. Space is limited to 30 households. Call 724-837-1402.
• The Westminster Recreation & Outreach Community of Westminster Presbyterian Church, 2040 Washington Road, is offering a class in Gentle Yoga from 6 to 7 p.m. Mondays from next Monday to Aug. 19. Call 412-835-6630.
• Breathe Pennsylvania is taking registrations for its annual Camp Huff-n-Puff for children between ages 8 and 13 with asthma; the camp is taking place from Aug. 8-11 at the Jumonville Camp & Retreat Center, 887 Jumonville Road, South Union, Fayette County. Camp tuition is $125 for residents of Western Pennsylvania. Breathe Pennsylvania also offers full and partial scholarships, based on financial need. For more information, visit www.camp.breathepa.org or call 1-800-220-1990.