• The Pittsburgh Psychoanalytic Center is sponsoring a discussion of the book "A Psychotherapy for the People: Toward a Progressive Psychoanalysis" from 7-9 p.m. Friday at the Bigelow Conference Center, 4338 Bigelow Blvd., Oakland. Speaker is co-author Lewis Aron, director of the New York University post-doctoral program in psychotherapy and psychoanalysis. Call 412-661-4224.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring a Blood Drive from 10 a.m.-2 p.m. Saturday at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Call 724-274-5202.
• Longwood at Oakmont, 500 Coxcomb Hill Road, Plum, is hosting a financial forecasting seminar at 11 a.m. Tuesday with presenter Marc Tannenbaum, partner and licensed financial planner at Signature Financial Planning. Space is limited. Register at 1-877-214-8410.
• The PriorityCare program of Allegheny Valley Hospital, Harrison, is sponsoring "Prostate Cancer: Stop It Cold," a discussion of the treatment of cryotherapy, at 6:30 p.m. Feb. 5 in its Charles W. Young Conference Center at the hospital in. Speaker will be Dr. Rong-Chung Lin. Space is limited. Register at 724-226-7339.
• Spina Bifida Association of Western Pennsylvania is sponsoring an estate-planning workshop for families, caregivers and people with special needs at 7 p.m. Thursday at Ameriprise, Suite 400, 1603 Carmody Court, Franklin Park. Hors d'oeuvres are being served at 6 p.m. Call 724-934-9600, ext. 11.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring the following courses in basic life support for health care providers Saturday at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Costs include required manual. Space limited to eight. To register, call 724-274-5202.
-- CPR renewal, 8 a.m.-noon. Cost: $30.
-- CPR, 1-6 p.m. Cost: $50.
• The Allegheny County Health Department is sponsoring a food protection certification course from 8:30 a.m.-4 p.m. Saturday and 8:30 a.m.-5 p.m. Feb. 12 at the Oakmont Country Club, 1233 Hulton Road, Plum. The cost is $75, $60 for those who live or work in the county. Call 412-687-2243 or 412-578-8044.
• Children's Hospital of Pittsburgh of UPMC is sponsoring "First Aid for Kids," for children ages 10-14, from 6:30-8:30 p.m. Monday at UPMC East, Monroeville. The cost is $10, and registration is required. Call 412-692-7105.
• Mon-Vale Health Resources is sponsoring the following classes.
-- Baby care, 6:30-9:30 p.m. Monday, Mon-Vale HealthPLEX, 800 Plaza Drive, Rostraver. Information: 724-258-2229, ext. 25.
-- Smoking cessation, four weeks, 6-8 p.m. Tuesdays beginning Feb. 5, Holiday Inn Express Bentleyville, 25 Smita Lane. The cost is $20; registration is required as space is limited. Call 724-483-6300.
• Excela Health is sponsoring the following classes in the Memorial Conference Center on the ground floor of Westmoreland Hospital, Greensburg. Call 1-877-771-1234.
-- "Childbirth and Beyond," three weeks, 7-9:30 p.m. Mondays beginning Feb. 4.
-- Sibling class, for older children ages 3-8 of expectant parents, 6-8 p.m. Feb. 5. Participants should bring a baby doll or stuffed animal.
• The Alle-Kiski Medical Center is sponsoring a Highmark Drop 10 in 10 wellness program from 6-7 p.m. Mondays beginning Feb. 4 at its Destination Wellness health resource center, the Galleria at Pittsburgh Mills, 590 Pittsburgh Mills Circle, Frazer. Space is limited to 30. To register, call 724-274-5202.
--?Compiled by Rick Nowlinhealth