Won Indianapolis 500 as rookie in 2001 and again in 2002, the first to repeat since Al Unser in 1970-71.
2. Tony Kanaan.....#11.....Andretti Green
The skinny: Best finish in five previous starts at Indy was runner-up to Buddy Rice in rain-shortened 2004 race.
3. Dario Franchitti.....#27.....Andretti Green
The skinny: Sixth and seventh the past two years at Indy. Fourth in IRL points this season. Married to actress Ashley Judd.
4. Scott Dixon.....#9.....Ganassi Racing
The skinny: CART rookie of the year in 2001. Moved to IRL with Ganassi and was series champion with three wins in 2003.
5. Sam Hornish Jr......#6.....Team Penske
The skinny: Defending Indy 500 and IRL series champion. Making eighth start at Indy. Holds IRL record with 18 career wins.
6. Dan Wheldon.....#10.....Ganassi Racing
The skinny: Former Indy winner. Third at Indy and runner-up to Tony Kanaan for IRL championship in 2004. Won two races last season.
7. Ryan Briscoe.....#12.....Luczo Dragon
The skinny: Tenth in only previous start at Indy in 2005. Drove in four IndyCar races last year, with best finish third at Watkins Glen.
8. Danica Patrick.....#7.....Andretti Green
The skinny: Indy and IRL rookie of the year in 2005, when she started and finished fourth and was the first woman to lead the 500.
9. Marco Andretti.....#26.....Andretti Green
The skinny: Runner-up and rookie of the year at Indy in 2006. Son of driver-owner Michael Andretti, grandson of Mario Andretti.
10. Tomas Scheckter .....#2.....Vision Racing
The skinny: Son of 1979 F1 champion Jody Scheckter. Led 85 laps and was co-rookie of the year at Indy in 2002. Crashed past two years.
11. Michael Andretti .....#39.....Andretti Green
The skinny: Team co-owner, came out of retirement to drive last year. Best finish in 15 starts at Indy was second in 1991.
12. Scott Sharp.....#8.....Rahal Letterman
The skinny: Holds IRL records with 133 career starts. Started from pole at Indy in 2001. Best finishes in 12 starts is seventh in 2005.
13. Jeff Simmons.....#17.....Rahal Letterman
The skinny: Hired last year after death of rookie Paul Dana. Made IndyCar debut with 16th place-finish at Indy in 2004. Was 23rd last year.
14. Ed Carpenter,.....#20..... Vision Racing
The skinny: Driving for team co-owned by his stepfather, Speedway boss Tony George. Was 11th at Indy the past two years.
15. Darren Manning.....#14.....Foyt Racing
The skinny: Former Formula One test driver. Was 25th and 29th in two previous starts at Indianapolis.
16. Buddy Rice.....#15.....PDR Racing
The skinny: Won Indy from the pole in 2004. Was 26th at Indy last year. Is 12th in IRL series standings this season.
17. Kosuke Matsuura.....#55.....Aguri Panther
The skinny: Crashed in two of first four races this season and is 18th in IRL points. Best finish in three previous starts at Indy 11th in 2004.
18. A.J. Foyt IV.....#22.....Vision Racing
The skinny: Grandson of four-time Indy winner A.J. Foyt. Was 33rd at Indy in 2004 and 28th in '05. Drove in NASCAR Busch Series last year.
19. Vitor Meira.....#4.....Panther Racing
The skinny: Indy runner-up in 2005 and 10th last year. Holds IRL record with 63 career races without a win.
20. Davey Hamilton.....#02..... Vision Racing
The skinny: Making first start since 2001, when he was seriously injured in a crash at Texas and underwent 21 operations.
21. Sarah Fisher.....#5.....Dreyer & Reinbold
The skinny: Third woman to race at Indy, but making first start since 2004. At Kentucky in 2002, became first woman to start from pole.
22. Buddy Lazier.....#99.....Schmidt Motorsports
The skinny: Indy 500 winner in 1996. He has also been runner-up twice, most recently in 2000. Making 15th start at Indy.
23. Roger Yasukawa.....#24..... Dreyer & Reinbold
The skinny: Tenth in first two starts at Indianapolis and 18th and 16th the past two years. Making first IRL start this year.
24. John Andretti.....#33.....Panther Racing
The skinny: Nephew of Mario Andretti and cousin of Michael and Marco. Making first start at Indy since 1994, when he was 10th.
25. Al Unser Jr. .....#50.....Foyt Racing
The skinny: Two-time Indy winner. Making 19th start at Indianapolis, where he is second in career winnings with $5.8 million.
26. Alex Barron.....#98.....Beck Motorsports
The skinny: Only win in 59 IRL starts was at Michigan in 2003. Making first start since end of 2005 season.
27. Jon Herb.....#19.....Racing Professionals
The skinny: Was 27th in only previous start at Indy in 2001. Unable to qualify after crashing twice in 2002. Played college football at SMU.
28. Jaques Lazier.....#21.....Playa Del Racing
The skinny: Younger brother of 1996 winner Buddy Lazier. Best finish in five Indy starts 13th as rookie in 2000.
29. Milka Duno.....#23.....Samax
The skinny: Fifth woman to qualify at Indianapolis, joins Sarah Fisher and Danica Patrick in first time three women have started same race.
30. Marty Roth.....#25.....Roth Racing
The skinny: Owns his own team and was the first Infiniti Pro Series owner to move up. Best previous finish at Indy was 24th in 2004.
31. Roberto Moreno.....#77.....Chastain
The skinny: Making third start at Indy and first since 1999, subbing for Stephan Gregoire, who broke his back in a crash during practice.
32. Richie Hearn.....#91.....Hemelgarn Racing
The skinny: Making first IRL start since Indy in 2005. Best finishes in six previous Indy starts were third as rookie in 1996 and sixth in 2002.
33. Phil Giebler.....#31.....Playa Del Racing
The skinny: Making his first IRL career start. Began racing go-karts at age 10, won his Indy Pro Series debut at Homestead in 2004.